Is it TK Friday yet?

Author:

Dave Kelly

Link to resource:

Review of resource

Talk about appointment television. TK Fridays refers to the TK8 Plug-in for Photoshop which can be a daunting set of buttons, actions and crazy masking options when you first get it. Aside from the excellent video guide made by Sean Bagshaw, Dave Kelly’s video channel with TK Fridays has been key to my understanding and proficiency with the panel. Dave’s teaching style is results-driven and less philosophical than many editing instructors. He uses a combination of stock photos, subscriber contributed images and his own work to demonstrate techniques and methods. I have watched videos for Topaz and other Adobe products and those are fun and informative, too. If you’re new to a particular software the channel will help you. Or for the TK8 panel, tune in for TK Fridays - you will be rewarded.

But don’t take my word for it:

Recently Tony Kuyper gave Dave some much-deserved kudos on his Good Light Journal where he talks about his relationship with the video channel and how sometimes even he learns a thing or two -

3 Likes

Coming back in to post a link to Dave’s most recent video because it explores some more esoteric features of the TK8 panel including a masking method I’ve never used. Thought it might be useful in a different way to the normal editing videos. This is part 1 with part 2 coming next Friday -

2 Likes

A 30 minute or so tutorial that will help folks get a handle on the difference between a luminosity mask and a zone mask. Also color and vibrance/saturation masks are in there. Some tips on when to use which to get the precision you need -

Another tutorial from Dave that I though was especially interesting because it deals with Saturation Painting, something I didn’t have a good handle on -

Now that Generative Fill has come to the release version of Photoshop, Tony Kuyper has added another panel to the TK toolkit. I haven’t played with it much, but it seems like it’s here to stay and the plug in might just help by providing a more precise level of blending control as well as other features. Here’s a link (I hope) to Dave’s TK Gen Fill panel videos -

The panel was released when Gen Fill was in beta, so the first few videos reference that, but it’s temporary.

The most recent release of PS with the generative fill tool, and TK’s panel for it, has finally made me feel old. My computer won’t support the newest PS so I haven’t even looked at the gen fill thing. And TK’s recent email describing his new gen fill panel read like Greek to me. :roll_eyes: :laughing:

Yeah, the art of the prompt is what’s going to be the creative piece of this I think. I haven’t tried much of it, but have used it to fix problem areas that no other tool could do well. It is all pretty demanding though - CPU intensive I think, but also GPU.