Island in the Fog

This image was taken in late May 2016 from an overlook above the Quabbin Reservoir in central Massachusetts. On cool mornings in spring it is very common to have heavy fog around the reservoir. However the conditions on this morning were very special. The fog covered the water in the reservoir, but was just low enough to leave this mountain at the shoreline poking out like an island in a sea of fog. This image was taken before sunrise while the earths shadow created some pastel pink and blue tones in the sky.

While these were very special conditions to witness in person, I have never felt that my processing of the scene does it enough justice. I have reworked it several times, and have gotten closer to what I want. But now I feel like I am too close to it to be objective. So I am looking for any input on whether this processing conveys the special conditions on that morning.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback or comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS lens, ISO 100, 81 mm, 1/4 sec at f16

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Ed, I think your processing does a great job of highlighting these special conditions. I did take the liberty of downloading this one and trying to see if I could improve upon your work. I was not successful. Maybe some others will have suggestions but I think this one is spot on!

Hey Ed,

Fantastic mood in this one. It looks like a great morning.

I think it looks great as presented. My only suggestion (and I’m not sure it would add value) would be to desaturate the foliage slightly to encourage the eye to move towards the peak emerging from the clouds

Ed, I am a bit nerveus to give your image a comment. But I try.
I just hit the auto button in curves. To bring in a bit more life. It brought in some clarity and contrast.

I think that a better analysis was needed to understand what moved you and a plan on how to show it. I think there are limitations to how to process an image to make it look how you feel. A lot of images are shot when a photographers is in a good state of being with the expectation that the camera must automatically convey that same emotion. That’s my reaction to this image. I don’t see any crop or post processing that would greatly change this. I don’t wish to sound severe because I have tons of images with the same issue.

Processing looks great to me. I like the mood conveyed. For some odd reason that darker green treetop about a third from the right grabs from eye. I might try to dodge it a little. Probably just me being a little a**l . LOL: For some strange reason that word is not allowed here.:vulcan_salute:

This is very nice, Ed. The leaves have Spring written all over it. I love the pastel tone in the BG. I think it’s very successful.

This is flat out gorgeous, Ed. I hear you on working on an image for so long that you sometimes lose your objectivity. For me your processing looks spot on with the warm pastel color in the sky and the greens of the trees. At first I was going to suggest just a bit more contrast, but the image is just so peaceful and serene that the slightly understated mood is perfect for me. Of course the fog is the clincher.

@Igor_Doncov @Adhika_Lie @Ben_van_der_Sande @Alan_Kreyger @Ed_Lowe @Michael_Lowe @Nathan_Klein thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions. Ben and Ed, I did go back and forth quite a bit about contrast. I was trying to go for the softer mood that Ed discussed, but I like the small contrast bump Ben gave to the shadows in the trees. @Igor_Doncov you are right, processing can only take you so far, and I just have to accept that some moments in nature will never fully translate to our images. But if not for photography, I never would have had this experience, so there is that to be thankful for.

1 Like

Ed, I think this works very well as presented. The pink in the sky and the green in the trees are both subtle. The limited contrast provides a fine sense of a quietly inviting spring morning. The peak peeking above the fog is a great addition that adds a touch of mystery to that “quiet morning enjoying the sights and sounds” feeling.

I love the subtle pastels and delicate feeling you’ve presented here. If I were a painter, I’d move the mountain down a tiny bit and to the left (but that might put it in the middle and I don’t know if that
would work, either). It might be interesting to crop off a tad from the top since the sky is empty, except for the pink gradated color. This is just beautiful as is, though.

@Mark_Seaver @Kathy_Barnhart thanks for taking the time to comment on my image, I appreciate it.
Kathy, I have previously played with a crop that moves the mountain down and to the left, but it made things kind of tight on the framing tree to the left, and i ended up concluding i wanted to leave the space there.