Absorption + one edit

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Like most photographers, I’m compelled to spend time in the fog whenever I see it. For this image, I have darkened it more that it appeared to my eyes. The early morning Sun was popping through at the far side of the lake. Do you find the darker vignette around the edges to be too dark? Do you want to see more detail in the trees to the right or does it work to keep them darker?

Creative direction

The sun at the far side, definitely draws your eyes in and I wanted to accentuate the affect with the way fog obscures details the deeper you go in. My intent was to process this in a way the enhanced the look that was already there.

Specific Feedback

I am open to all forms of critique on this image.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6
ISO 64, f/11, 1/10th, 280mm

I’ve used various tools in the “masking” tool in Lightroom to decrease highlights, darken some areas, add contrast and texture to other areas.

Description

I could feel the fog moving in on Salmon Lake in Montana overnight. I could sense the mystery slip over the landscape as I slept. The air became thick and cold. Occasional puffs of wind sounded a bit muffled as the moisture laden air pushed through the trees around our campsite. Early in the morning, I poked my head out and was greeted with a magical scene. The clouds had descended right down to the valley floor. It slipped across the surface of the water and whispered through the forest. Landmarks disappeared and then the next time you looked, they were back again. Colors became muted and appeared in tones of grey. Structure and texture became vague as pulses of fog ebbed and flowed. Mornings like this seem to reveal the breathing pattern of the natural world. It is good to spend time in environments like this. It is such a treat in the middle of summer to grab that thick flannel shirt and just sit there in the foggy chill. Let your own breathing slow to the pace of nature and just absorb the moment.

3 Likes

This has a quiet, somber mood to me, although the hint of warmth in the distant fog does lift the mood a bit so that it is not overwhelming. I love the sense of depth, with the islands/shorelines on the right fading into the background.

The vignette around the edges looks fine except for that really dark blob center right. Maybe this was a naturally darker area to start with? When I have something like that, I erase the vignette off already dark areas.

This is such a moody, almost gloomy image, Paul. I mean that in a positive way. I really am drawn into the scene. This is one of those images that you could create multiple copies and tweak them in many different ways. I like it as is, but also see one with more contrast (not too much) and a bit lighter. As is, it’s a winner. Well done.

Hi Paul,

The image accompanied by the story makes this feel like a cinematic shot, perhaps a cover of a mystery novel minus the text.

The only suggestion I have is to add just a touch of fog to the right side center as Bonnie mentioned, it might be worth the effort.
I like the patchy highlights of fog, it adds to the cinematic feel IMO. :slight_smile:

@Bonnie_Lampley @David_Bostock @Merv I added a very gently modified image to the original post. It looks much better in full res on my computer. Compression has made it more difficult to see the changes, but I think they were very effective. Thanks for the ideas. I’m always amazed at how seeing through another’s eyes can help!

1 Like

I love this image and its mood Paul! You asked if it was too dark, and I think that’s a question about the mood you want to portray. As David said, this is a photo that can be tweaked in many different ways, but each tweak potentially changes the mood. I really like the dark, somber mood of the original post. The repost is just a touch lighter, which also slightly lightens the mood, and is equally excellent in my view. No matter how you want to portray the mood, this will be an excellent image. Well done!

Love this image Paul. I can definitely see the magic in this moody capture. I am been drawn into it, to wait and see what will happen as the fog lifts. The composition has balance and I like the warmth in the tones. Well done.

Thank you Mozzam! I appreciate the kind words. It was difficult to find a composition here because there is actually a lot of private property. This was photographed from The edge of a driveway next to the highway!

Wonderful lighting Paul; that’s a great catch. I downloaded this and took a look at the rgb channels in Photoshop, and I think you’ve got a fantastic black and white there too. (I especially like the green channel.)

Moody and mysterious! I am totally enjoying the atmospherics you captured here, Paul. I toggled back and forth several times to see which version I preferred , both both work beautifully for me. Which ever way you go you have a winner for sure. This image has a lot of depth with the islands being staggered from side to side.

I do not have many fog events where I live in MD so my brother and I try to time our trips to Shenandoah NP when there is the prospect of rain/ fog in the forcast.

I’m playing catchup again and glad I found this one! The magic of fog!! I would believe you if you said you had backpacked for 3 days to get to this magic and never-before-photographed lake!

My first reaction is frame and hang! Maybe a bit lighter could be interesting, but there are so many ways you could go with this. I love the dramatic shapes and the way the trees disappear into the fog! And now I’m wondering about a little crop from the top and bottom, and maybe a very slight CCW rotation. That might be more for an optical illusion, but it’s something I’ll correct if I think it’s noticeable.

Paul,

Wonderful imagery - the mood/atmosphere brings you right there - except I can’t tell without that flannel shirt… :slight_smile:

I was originally thinking this could be lightened - especially in an attempt to further differentiate between the lighted fog, spot light areas, and the rest of the frame, really drawing the eye it. Agree with Bonnie, this has some depth as well.

You repost is a great improvement! and most certainly print worthy! Thanks for sharing and the accompanying words.

Lon