Foggy Morning

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

As I’m sure everyone here knows, woodland photography can be very challenging, but a some foggy weather can make it easier. I really like how there is a touch of warmth from the morning sun. I also like how the tree line feels like it is protecting the rocky slope in the background.

While I like the little pyramid looking thing on the bottom right, I wish I would have moved left or right a touch to have it separated a bit more against the tree line.

Is there anything else you see that could be changed? What other thoughts do you have on this image?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is a seven image panorama stitched together in Lightroom.

Nikon D850
Tamron 70-200 G2
78mm
F8
1/50 sec
ISO 64

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is wonderful Jason. I wish I was there with a nice chair, a little campfire, and a nice warm blanket. The mist is perfect with the warm light showing through. I thought for a minute you’d found one of the forest gnomes we’ve all heard about. I really like the little hill in the BG behind some of the trees. The only thing I would be tempted to do is to clone out the two sticks in the LRC.

1 Like

I am loving the soft warm light you captured in this woodland image Jason. You are definitely right about woodland scenes being challenging to photograph. I like your pano format here and I am suggesting to take it even further and getting rid of most of the sky as it does catch my eye somewhat. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I was thinking. I would also get rid of that pyramid shaped object since it does merge with the tree. Just my opinions of course.

1 Like

Thanks! And I agree with the crop. I just get stuck using my typical 2:1 ratio I tend to use for prints

Thanks! I noticed those as well. I’ll have to clean it up before I finalize it

You found a very nice scene Jason and made a good impression of it. I can almost feel the cool, foggy air in your image. As the others who commented, I like the the soft light in the scene and the tranquility. I also like the crop suggested by @Ed_Lowe , which includes eliminating the sticks mentioned by @Ed_Williams .

Jason, A beautiful image which tell’s me a fine story of light and as @Han_Schutten says tranquility . I saw at first view two images. I made a repost of the in my eyes possibilities. Hope you like them.

I actually have an image of the left side of the image, but it’s a little bit more foggy and bright.

1 Like

The trees accented by the fog is a lovely combination Jason. I like all three suggested crops too; they isolate some of the magic. You have a lot to play with here!

1 Like