Foggy morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another image from the autumn workshop in Härjedalen, Sweden that I visit every year.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome!
Any suggestions on how to crop at the bottom?

Technical Details

Olympus camera EP-7 with 12 mm (24 mm eqjuiv.) prime lens, ISO 200 (base ISO), f/16, 1/25, handheld

3 Likes

Ola, I really like what you’ve seen and captured in this image. The gradual increase in “softness” from foreground to background and the fact that the lighter colored foreground foliage all points toward the background trees really make this special. Great composition - I have no suggestions for improvement!

So quiet and relaxt. What a simple image can say !

Very lovely!! I don’t think a crop from the bottom is necessary but I think it would be interesting to compare one cropped just above the top of the larger fern on the left. I think this might be very interesting in B/W, too.

This is so serene and somehow spring-like rather than autumn. The fine foliage in the foreground is delicate and wispy so goes well with the foggy background. I like the way you’ve positioned the bg trees. Nicely seen.

Hi, it’s a nice subject to which the mist add atmosphere.
My suggestion to try would be to crop-in a little to remove certain distractions that don’t add to the image .
For example, reduce the extent of sky above the highest tree by 50%; crop the RHS of the image to a point close to the shrub in the mid-ground, and crop the three branches/ fronds at the bottom of the image - which I find distracting because they are in focus.
What the cropping then does is to reveal a line in the vegetation from bottom right to top left which helps the eye flow around the image.
I hope this helps.
Nigel

This image certainly has a peaceful serene vibe to it Ola. The fog along with the muted autumn color are sublime. I definitely would not crop from the bottom. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be a little crop from both sides as well as the top to make the trees even more prominent. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I was thinking. Beautiful image!

@Kris_Smith , @Ron_Meeker, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Ed_Lowe, @Diane_Miller and @Nigel_Downes thanks for your kind comments and advise.

I will try a tighter crop.

How lovely, Ola! I love the original crop. It has a spacious, airy feeling. I think cropping would reduce that impression for me.

@Bonnie_Lampley, thanks for your kind comments.