Island life

Another unconventional fall photograph from this year. This bit of the river is just down from my house so I leave from the backyard and paddle to just above the dam. The island in the middle is actually the largest and often has the resident eagle pair perching in the trees. Navigating to and between the smaller rocks and islands is tricky since the water is so very shallow, but it’s fun to find different perspectives.

Specific Feedback Requested

General feedback and ideas for processing or future outings.

Technical Details

Handheld with the kayak stuck on a submerged rock
CPL

Lightroom for some basic adjustments and a crop. Used the new tools to remove some distractions in the water. Topaz Sharpen to bring up some details.

1 Like

A very peaceful, wonderful scene, Kris. I like the slight pano comp too. I can’t think of anything to change. The tree in the distance is centered, but I actually think that adds to the comp. Nice!

Wonderfully unusual perspective – makes me feel like I’m right there. The gorgeous colors in the BG add a lovely interest without distracting from the FG. Nice to be able to “park” the kayak sometimes. You must have a mental map of all the likely anchorages.

Just curious, is there current on the water, or breeze?

Nice water scene, Kristen. The small island on the R and that large bolder on the L give this image a great place for the eye to enter and end on that big tree in the back. The shadows give some depth and the sky line is filled with beautiful fall trees. Makes me want to be out kayaking with you :smile: . Nice peaceful shot.

Thanks @David_Bostock, @Diane_Miller & @Donna_Callais - the three Ds!

Yes, it was windy when I took this. A storm was coming and that lovely soft blue sky was soon covered by low clouds.

And yeah, in some places I paddle all the time, I know where stuff is that will get the boat stuck. Sometimes they’re in the way and I have to remember to avoid them and paddle slowly, sometimes they’re handy for this kind of thing. I live so far north that it’s a short season with the boat, but I’m already planning next year’s outings!

Kristen, I ditto everyones comments. I’ll add that in addition to making a terrific image, you have excellent kayaking skills and live in a wonderful environment.

Thanks @Larry_Greenbaum - I have spent many an hour in the kayak and like to think I’ve improved my skills. Northern Wisconsin is a quiet water paddlers dream so I’m very lucky to live here. Have plans for some specific trips to photograph specific things, but most of the time it’s just a joy to be on the water with no agenda at all.