The river winds down

In an effort to create some more distinctive fall photos, I put the kayak in the water and decided to include some of the grasses that retain just a tinge of their summer green. The hill behind does this magical color thing every year and I’ve shot it from the road, but never from the boat. The trouble was trying to find something besides the hill. Rocks were too overpowering, ripples were just boring and some big logs and cattails also too overwhelming. This seemed like a decent compromise, but also showed change in the grass as well as the trees. The sky was cloudy, but bright and I liked that for the contrast.

Specific Feedback Requested

Thoughts in general. It’s weird, but is it too weird?

Technical Details

Handheld in some decent wind, but with the kayak up against a rock to try to keep it still, CPL probably on the lens as well.

Lr for initial processing - wb adjustment, some exposure added and the usual S-curve for contrast. Calibration panel to brighten blues. Texture reduced, but clarity bumped very slightly. Increased luminance for orange and yellow channels. Topaz DeNoise AI as well.

I like the view from a kayak feel here, Kris. Those colors in the trees are fantastic. I think the foreground works well, not weird at all. Nice!

I like this photo too. I out doing the same thing - grabbing photos of the changing colors while I can. We have beautiful hills of color, but like you, it’s hard to find something interesting to go in front or on the sides to keep the photo from being boring. I like the ripples and the color of the water and I also like the grass. It does give the photo some interest. The color in the trees is wonderful. Have you tried getting a little more contrast in the sky. I think I faintly see some clouds. Just a thought. Nice job.

Thanks @David_Bostock & @Donna_Callais - glad it’s not too off the radar. The sky was pretty washed out, but I did pull it up some. Maybe I can go a bit farther than I did. I’m always cautious when it comes to skies because so many photographers push them too far or replace them altogether. Makes me cringe.

1 Like

Not weird at all!! It’s lovely. Your fall color there is so striking. I think having that smaller “strip” of color framed by the blues of the sky and water is perfect. And the grasses add a wonderful foreground element. I like those reddish lily pads(?) towards the front right of the frame. I think this is great.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley ! I think those are maple leaves there by the grasses on the right. Wisconsin has more sugar maples than people and the leaves get everywhere.

Not wierd at all; I think it’s wonderful. I love the way the V of the grass leads you into the scene, and the foreground grass placement is perfect. That riot of color behind is beautiful.

At the risk of cringeworthy, I do like trying to bring out the trees a bit more by playing with the contrast near and far.

Thanks for the updated edit, @John_Williams - I think it can take the extra contrast. Good to know. And it didn’t make me cringe! :grin: