Autumnally yours

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My favorite little bit of the Wisconsin river to photograph is this one just a mile down from the house. In all seasons it looks gorgeous when there’s good light or weather conditions, but that hill is amazing every fall. It puts on the best show! I caught it at the end of September when it was doing this. Alas, no eagles in the tree, but the next time I went by there was one and I got a few take off shots with the long lens.

Specific Feedback

Ideas for improvement welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for all processing including this more panoramic crop, Calibration & Point Color tools to make the most of all that fall splendor, masking to manage the sky and its reflection, added texture, reduced clarity, sharpening & a bit of nr. Wb was good out of the camera.

The only thing I would like to see is, more of the trees and less sky and FG. This is a beautiful shot of Nature for this time of year. Maybe, brighten up a little. Might be my screen. An eagle would be a nice extra. The single green tree looks to tower over the rest and would make a great perch. Thanks

Kris, I like this as it is. The fall colors are so beautiful, and I love the repetition of them in the reflections. I like the two areas of the water that don’t show the reflections, it breaks things up nicely. You are so fortunate to have such a beautiful scene that close to home.

Hi Kris, this is a beautiful picture of fall. The colors in the trees are stunning. I also like how you’ve treated the sky. I’m drawn to steely gray skies like this anyway, but in this case, as a backdrop for the trees, I think it really enhances the colors.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @SkipsPics & @John_Kilgour - yeah, this bit of the river is the gift that keeps on giving. It’s right above a hydro-electric dam so the water level basically never changes and whatever mix of trees back there is just perfection.

Lighting this was tricky if you follow. It was morning around 9 and the sun hadn’t broken through the clouds, but it was trying. It was bright, but not intensely so and so I tried to keep the feeling, but make sure the color came through vibrantly and realistically at the same time. At first I was bummed by the sky and gray clouds, but then I thought it might work and so I’m glad for the feedback.

1 Like