Almost an enviable vantage

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

So you guys might recognize this view from my Summer and Fall shots that I took at the same location - my favorite part of the Prairie River here in Wisconsin. We have had a dismal winter this year with very little snow and warm temps, it’s perpetually November. But it snowed a little last week (it’s almost gone now) and I bolted out the door before the light changed to head here. Because there are ledges of ice all over the rocks and boulders, I didn’t dare go over to the rock I sat on for the other photos. I walked out as much as I dared and then zoomed with my lens instead. The results are close to the other compositions and I like the addition of a Winter photo to the series.

Specific Feedback

Overall impressions and ideas for processing changes/experiments. I deliberately left the tripod home because with snow photos I often want a fast shutter speed for contrast between the water and the snow. Opposite to what I do with rocks.

Technical Details

Handheld while trying to keep the front element free of blowing snow.

Lr for a wb adjustment, the usual contrast tweak, some work with masking to even luminosity between shady and sunny bits, also masked in a color boost in the sunny trees, texture, sharpening & nr. Cropped to sort of match the other photos from this vantage point.

1 Like

Beautiful, Kris. Enviously inviting especially since it is going to hit 86 degrees down here today! I do love how the stream comes in from the LRC pull my eyes into the scene. Quite an idealistic view of a winter walk in the snow. I would not dream of any sort of suggestions on your processing process. IMHO, you are always spot on. Very nicely seen and captured.

Wonderful!!! The SS for the water works here, with very nice detail, and good tonalities in the snow. I love the light in the trees!!

You may have missed winter this year but your forest will burst forth with life soon!

It will be very interesting to see what next winter brings – there will surely be some fluctuation, but this is scary. But not as scary as melting glaciers, ice fields and permafrost.

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Diane_Miller - I’m glad you’re not sorry to be seeing more of this location - I promise to try to paddle the headwaters in a few months just to shake things up!

It was 50 degrees today.

In February.

In Wisconsin.

Of course it is the jet stream and what it’s up to this year, but crazy. Tomorrow won’t be so warm, but I did get out and sit in the sun on some big rocks on the Wisconsin river down from the house. So perfect even if an eagle I saw wouldn’t come to perch on the tree across from me. Rotten bird.

1 Like