Winter Ice

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Rivers & Streams when it’s still winter…

Technical Details

I didn’t have an ND filter, so I used settings (and a tripod) to slow the water flow down: ISO 50, f22, 1.6 sec at 35 mm

Connie, my initial reaction to this interesting, intimate stream view is that it’s very blue. Since I assume that’s what you want, I would suggest adding a bit of blue to the rock and bright section in the upper right corner as those spots stand out for “not being blue”. I’m enjoying the animal head that I see in the rock and icicles, (middle right) and think a bit of dodging to bring out more details in the darker area of that rock might be interesting. I would also suggest some burning-in of the brightest water bits in the upper left, as those get a lot of attention. The sense of flow looks good, with some details showing.

Hi Connie,
I like the basic idea you were going for with this intimate landscape. The details in the water flow is quite nice and the icicles on the rocks are gorgeous. My thoughts echo those of @Mark_Seaver on the overall blue in the scene along with the couple of hot highlights. I hope you do not mind, but I did a rework with my thoughts. I reduced the blue somewhat and cropped a little from the left to get rid of that hot spot. I also dodged the icicles a little to make them stand out a bit more. I also cloned out the white area on the rock in the URC as it tugs at my eye. This is just my opinion of course as you may have been trying for the blue tones. BTW, I checked out you website and you have some lovely images on there.

Thank you @Ed_Lowe & @Mark_Seaver for you helpful insights. Funny how I can look at my images so long that I end up not seeing the obvious. I think I do like the blue - a statement and testament to the extreme iciness of that river experience. Maybe I’ll tone it down just a bit? But the hot spots definitely have to go! Thanks for the re-work to help me see it all.