Blackwater River In Winter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

When Ed and I go to Blackwater Falls State Park in the winter, this is always our first stop. Winter is the only time it is really photogenic. The viewpoint is a small bridge over the river. We usually have to stand atop a three foot deep pile of snow pushed up against the guardrail by the snowplows to get a picture.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is appreciated but wondering if the snow looks clipped. It’s not close to the right edge of the histogram, but it looks kinda blown out on my monitor.

Technical Details

I don’t know the techs on this image. I know it’s a stitched image, so I must have accidently deleted the raw file when I converted it.

1 Like

A wonderful winter scene image here, Michael. Looks very peaceful… :cowboy_hat_face:

Mike,
One of my favorite viewpoints in Blackwater Falls SP during the winter season! I never really thought about it, but you are right about it being our first stop. It sure would be nice to make the trip out; if they get any more snow; before winter is over.

I could see taking the whites down ever so slightly; but not much; as for the most part; they do have detail. My only other suggestion would be to get rid of the limb in the LRC as well as the little bit of rock showing just left of that limb. That stinks about losing the raw files. :sob: Did you lose them all or just the ones in the pano?

Beautiful image, Michael. I can see why you make this your first stop when you visit this area. I love the contrast of the bright snow and the dark water. I would agree with Ed that you might try taking the whites down very slightly to see how that looks. In general, though, the surface of the snow strikes me as an accurate presentation of how snow looks in conditions like this. Of course, I wasn’t there when you shot this, but that’s my reaction to the image. Again, it’s a wonderful photograph.

Love this vision of a winter stream. It’s such another world that time of year. I think the whites are great on the river - snow is pretty darn white! In fact, what about brightening the snow on the deciduous trees along the side of the river? They seem a little grey to me. Or even just dodging in a few of them - could add to the feeling of depth?

Thanks @John_Kilgour , @Ed_Lowe , @connie4 , @Paul_Breitkreuz for the comments and suggestions. I just lost the ones for the pano, @Ed_Lowe .
After looking at the image, you are right @connie4 . The whites in the trees are a little gray.

How beautiful! The whites don’t look too bright on my monitor. The light looks perfect - so flat and gray and cold.

1 Like

It’s a beautiful winter scene, Michael. I might consider selectively increasing texture and/or clarity in just the trees to bring out a little detail and contrast. I’m sorry you lost the raw files! It has happened to me as well, on a couple of favorite images.

Really well seen and photographed, Michael.