Ivanpah Tank Pano

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As the weather had been edgy for weeks and subdued light from cloud cover I was glad this area finally provided some decent sunrise light.

Specific Feedback

Open for any thoughts as always.

Technical Details

This is a 3 image horizontal pano photographed with a Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 65mm "C’ Lens - Kodak E-100 - Singh Ray 2 stop soft ND filter.

2 Likes

Great look at J-Tree in pano. You fooled me. I thought it was a Provia sky. No suggestions here.

1 Like

A very nice sunrise pano, Paul! I love the warm light on the rocks in contrast with the shaded foreground. Even though it’s shaded, the detail and clarity in the foreground rocks, vegetation and sand are important for me. Good job of managing the light also. The large version has much more presence and is a must see!

@Harley_Goldman @Gary_Minish
Thank you both for the comments on this pano take near Ivanpah Tank area of JTNP.
After reading both of your comments I updated the fact that I did use a 2 stop soft ND filter on this scene. Hence your comment Harley on the sky and Gary yours with regard to the FG detail in the shaded area being quite visible.
I have all of my MF & LF lenses setup for the same size 100mm rectangle filters and hardly even recall using them at times as I’m on old man auto pilot as it were… :nerd_face:

An excellent panorama, Paul. I love the light and the two rocks in the lower left to a great job of anchoring the image. The light on the background formation does an excellent job of pulling my eye into the image and moving it across. The only part of the image that my eye doesn’t go to is the lower right.

Hey Dennis, thank you so much for the comment here… :sunglasses:
I was lucky the weather had a cloudless morning as usually where they do lay is right in the sunrise path… :disappointed_relieved:

Paul, the sunrise lighting looks great on the rocks. As Harley suggests, there’s very much a Paul B. , larger format look to this view. I also really like that pair of rounded rocks in the llc that clearly were one many millennia ago.

1 Like

I missed this one earlier – gorgeous composition in gorgeous light! I’m wondering if you warmed up the shaded areas or if the film records that way?

@Diane_Miller thanks for asking about the FG area. Also thank you for the review and comment overall.
I’m sure I processed some of the FG with various changes. I’m still learning the E-100 characteristics compared to the red/magenta of Velvia and the blue/cyan of Provia. I find the E-100 gives a bit of the old Astia look of green/yellow which aided in the FG looking as it does. I never cared for the excessive “blue” in shaded areas even it is a bit more natural.
The large rock formation is also a big reflector of the warm sunrise light too.