Ryan Mt. Rock Formation

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A sunrise panoramic. A group of slanted boulders with a variety of desert vegetation surrounding the area. Including a juniper tree that is slanted backwards in almost reclining position over an oval boulder behind it.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts.

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 37mm “C” lens - Veilvia 50

Another fine look at the desert. Very minor, but I might consider removing the magenta at the right edge of the sky where it meets the desert. I find it to be a bit of an eye magnet. Well done.

Harley, thank you as always for the comment. And yes, that is an easy enough change there on that corner… :sunglasses:

Hi Paul,

This very much looks like a meticulously detailed painting.

The boulders standing up as they are look like books on a bookshelf.
The rounded lighter tan color boulder on the left looks a bit like a petrified beached dolphin.
The Juniper is a nice touch and the colors are amazing!

The joints in the boulders and the base of the vegetation all have a nice, dark shading that works very well at defining their shapes and positions.
There’s a very nice, almost perfect gradient of light “and color” from the bottom of the frame to the tip of the tallest boulder, the transition between the yellow sunlit boulders to the sand in the shade is so smooth, it’s almost as though there is no transition, but there is.

Maybe I’m going a bit overboard with this but it’s perfect to my eyes, I wouldn’t change a thing about it, but, it’s not mine, it’s only my opinion, so, change whatever you feel you should. :slight_smile:

Gorgeous!! :slight_smile:

Very interesting image. I love desert shots of all kinds. This one is very unique. I love how the stones pile up like dominoes and have beautiful lines through them. The vegetation and trees really make this image stand out. I love how the tall tree perfectly snuggles right into the V of the stones. The juniper is one of my favorite desert tree and this one shows why that is. I feel like it’s perfectly placed too. Lovely as is.

1 Like

@Merv I sincerely appreciate your time to review the image to the depth you’ve outlined in your comment. I’d not noticed the rock you mention that has a petrified dolphin look there. Your mention of the scene looking a bit like a painting is a real plus as I’ve said that at times about others images that have that type of look or feel to them also… :+1:

@Donna_Callais Thank you for your comment. As far as desert scenes that has become my main collection of images over the years. Straight open deserts can be difficult to get a variety from. But fortunately the southwestern states enjoy and unending collection of scenes that can provide some ongoing interests…at least for me anyway… :cowboy_hat_face:

Paul, this is a beauty. I like how you’ve placed the J-tree in the cleft of the boulders with it’s shape mimicking the cleft and find the vertical stripes in the central stone a neat revelation. I could look at this desert scene over and over again. While it would have a very different feel (focused on the rocks), I could also see a version of this with about half of the bottom cropped. I do prefer this larger version as it lets me experinece the entirity of the desert. My “trackers eye” notices some nearly vertical, faint lines in the sand in the lower right corner.

@Mark_Seaver thank you for the review and comments too. Yes, placing that J-tree in-between the rocks took some eyeball engineering especially doing a 3 image overlapping pano too. I also wanted to keep the other smaller J-tree from poking into the sky too… :cowboy_hat_face:
Good “trackers eye” too on the LRC. I can look at the larger PSD file later to verify that area. I was probably cleaning up footprints maybe?.. :thinking: