Dome Alone

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a long time coming as I’d GPS’d this location over a year ago when scouting sites in the field . The GPS minimized lost time with trekking to the site in the dark. However, even seeing the rough scattered volcanic rock debris field on Google Earth did not ease the pain of trekking over it.
Anyway, as always using Google Earth Pro and the TPE program really helped pull things together in the end. Thankfully the sunrise burst over the horizon was the perfect angle of view and intensity I was looking for.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya “C” 37mm - Ektachrome E-100

2 Likes

Paul, you nailed the light and overall technical aspects. I like the crispness of the image, the color and the monolithic rock standing tall above the surroundings. However, I find the plant in the foreground to be distracting. I feel that it should have been placed to the right creating some separation from the rock to balance the composition or not included if you were trying to create a more symmetrical composition. You do score points for hauling an RB67 into the field. And, yes, a GPS is an invaluable tool to avoid wandering in the desert.

Paul, the lighting and your timing at catching it before it lights up the rest of the ground are amazing. The giant “round” rock looks out of place with it’s size set of very well by the Yucca in front.

@Paul_Dileanis @Mark_Seaver …thank you both for your reviews and comments here. Although I was able to isolate the main boulder it was a tight view with surrounding other rock formations and foliage. You’re both right in calling the FG item a plant and or Yucca. It’s those items and is more commonly called a Joshua Tree. This one is in it’s infancy… :cowboy_hat_face:
btw: I debated calling this Teepee Rock as the front staining had a slight look of that… :laughing:

Paul, My finger hovered over the post button a few moments while I decided if I wanted to delete the comment about the yucca plant. I know you have been on this forum a long time and are a very talented photographer who may not have needed this advice. I was not there and don’t know if your angles were limited by being sandwiched between a stand of chollas and a pit of rattlesnakes :grinning:. I hit post because I think others reading the critique may benefit by considering other composition options.
Teepee rock sounds good, I am assuming that I wont be finding it pinned on Google Earth anytime ever. We all need our personal photo spots.

@Paul_Dileanis …No Worries. I rarely comment on compositions as they’re a bit hard to make a call on without being there. Unless of course it’s a telephone pole sticking out of the top of a persons head scene… :laughing:

Paul: What a great find and kudos to you for using some of the apps we have available to set up the shot. I was in Bryce Canyon a few years ago sighting on the eastern horizon just before sunset/moon rise and a number of folks wanted to know what I was doing/shooting. I told them that in a few minutes the full moon would rise at a particular point. A number of them scoffed but when the moon arrived as scheduled at the precise location their mouths were shut. Really well conceived and captured on your part here. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

@Bill_Fach how small this world is for at least us outdoor photographers. If I comb my image archives I had an identical encounter many years ago at Bryce. And yes, it was a rising full moon at dusk and folks around me were scratching their heads as to why I had not packed my gear up with the failing light. And there it was, a full moon right on time at the precious spot too.
Thank you for the positive review and especially your story as it gave me a very fond recall of my earlier years out and about… :cowboy_hat_face:

@linda_mellor @Bonnie_Lampley:+1:

1 Like