Setting Full Moon Over Teetering Rock Formation

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was the last full moon for that year. The sunrise was starting to illuminate this area in JTNP.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 65mm “C” lens - Velvia 50

1 Like

Paul, I think I’d call this “The sleeping Giant”, since I see that in the rocks (very large feet pointing up at the left, head with prominent bulbous nose on the right. Getting the light balance right for a full moon at sunrise/sunset is always a challenge and you’ve done that well here.

@Mark_Seaver good idea there, Mark. Maybe a “Gulliver’s Travels” giant being pinned down with ropes… :clown_face:

Dear God – @Mark_Seaver pegged it!! Beautiful colors in the rocks and perfect blues! I think I’d back off on the contrast in the moon just a bit but perfect otherwise! I can smell the early morning scents of the desert.

Paul,

Always enjoy your images and interpretations from JT. Wonderful pano!

And once reading Mark’s comment and your subsequent “Gulliver’s Travels” well, it can’t be unseen now - and a time when that’s a good thing! What a great description, Love it!

I would concur with Diane as well about the contrast in the moon, but fairly minor.

Lon

So, Paul! Who ya got buried under that pile of rocks? Anybody I know? :slight_smile:

Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone…that cares :sunglasses: :roll_eyes:

Wonder how this would look with a 90° CCW rotation?

It’s Mark’s fault! (that’s my defense!)

Seriously though, this is another great image with lot’s of fine detail and definition.

The button nose is a nice touch :slight_smile:

Yep, sorry, can’t un-see it but if you ever decide to release it for print, I want one, please!

@Diane_Miller @Lon_Overacker @Merv as always I sincerely appreciate the reviews and comments on any of my images. When Mark first made mention and then my Gulliver’s Travels posting I thought the head was on the left side with the person flat on his back. Anyway, I guess one could see it in either direction. A good laugh in the end for sure. Take care… :cowboy_hat_face:
Merv, any and all my images posted here are on my website too…www.trailimages.com

Hey Paul, when I think about the sleeping giant being flipped, I see Homer Simpson’s head!

1 Like

Paul,

I hope I didn’t offend you or upset you with my comments that went a bit off the rails with regards to the perceived shape of the rock formation!

If I did, I apologize for that, sometimes we wrongfully assume that everyone is open for a little humor.

I would like to order a print of this, I was being serious.
However, is there a way I can get one with the moon a little less contrasty? It appears to be too well defined to me.

Thanks, Paul!!

All the best!

Merv

By no means. I think everyone saw the scene with a bit of animation that I truly did not at the time. I thought Mark’s POV of seeing Homer Simpson was the same character I saw if the head was on the left laying flat on his back.
As far as the print I will mount a less saturated moon version within a half hour on my website under the All Panoramic Views. Take a look and see if that will work at all…take care…trailimages.com

That’s a relief!

I always try to be sure I haven’t upset anyone!

I’ll have another look on your website when I get back from running some errands later this afternoon.

Thanks again, Paul!

And BTW, the shape of the rock formation is the main reason I want a print of it, different strokes for different folks as they say :slight_smile: