October Moon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was actually a late afternoon or evening image from Joshua Tree National Park. It’s located near the Jumbo Rock area. The dry wash with the large oak tree in the BG is the Oak Tree Tank area. The wash continues to the right around the rock formation into the Ivanpah Tank area.
Although I know this is hanging on a few walls I’ve never personally seen it as such. I do know the last was a 16x20 metal print that was purchased by someone in Escondido, Ca.

Specific Feedback

ANY

Technical Details

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya Sekkor “C” 127mm lens - 2 stop ND filter - Velvia 50

Paul: I recall you posting this or a similar shot, perhaps in the old NPN. Marvelous light and comp. I like the contrast of the multi-textured FG with the featureless sky. Top notch shot. >=))>

1 Like

Paul, this is a beauty that creates a lovely mood. I’m impressed with the light balance, with the full moon showing detail and the skimming light on the rocks.

1 Like

This would be spectacular on anyone’s wall! I’m glad to hear it has a life somewhere outside a hard drive or a collection of transparencies.

1 Like

@Bill_Fach @Mark_Seaver @Diane_Miller …thank you each for your reviews and comments on this scene. An item I did not mention was my constant conviction to using the TPE program for sunrise / sunset / moon rise / moon set times, locations, and angle of view. More often sunrise times and angles as I do not get out too often evenings these days.
Bill, good recall on NPN 1 possibility of posting this one. I have a similar that’s a pano from the same general area in the opposite direction with a moon setting instead of rising as this one is.

A wall hanger indeed. The combination of the late afternoon/evening light and the moon along with the wonderful textures of the foreground is amazing. I’m headed out there in December and this image is making the wait a tough one!