I've been framed!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Keel-billed toucan, Costa Rica
There are several species of Toucans in Costa Rica, and all are very beautiful. They’re also fun to watch and shoot, as they love to hop around and sometimes group together.

Specific Feedback

Are the yellow leaves too bright? I dampened them quite a bit already.

Technical Details

Sony A-1
200-600 mm @ 467
Exposure Time: 1/2000 sec
F Number: f/6.3
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 3200
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No flash

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Hi Sandy, a fine image, well composed with pleasing colors. I find the leaves to be complimentary to the bird given the similar colors. Nice framing overall. Well done.

1 Like

Wonderful eye popping Rainbow colored bird right down to the blue shoes (feet-claws) here, Sandy. An excellent composition… :sunglasses:

Nice to get one of these in such an interesting setting, Sandy. I like the hint of light through the tip of the beak.

Interesting to hear you toned down the color on the leaves, as the colors in general are off the charts on my screen.

This is a really fine portrait of an iconic species, Sandy. I think it could just use a crop from the right side, eliminating that rightward-facing branch that pulls the eye in the wrong direction. Plus, with no leaves filling the top right corner, you’re minimizing the “gap” along the top edge too.