Jewels of the Merced

Similar to another reflection image I posted earlier. In fact it’s the same section of the Merced I captured in Yosemite just about a month ago now.

The first post is the original orientation and both are cropped about 50% of the original. I wanted a closer look at the abstract patterns, “jewels” or mosaic. The second one is of course flipped vertically and processed slightly darker.

As always your thoughts and critique are always welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course. Also interested in any tips or techniques when photographing scenes like this; reflections on the water’s surface.

Preference of the processing?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which orientation to you prefer - and why.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @210mm f/6.3 1/500th iso 800.

Lon,

They are both fantastic photos. I am at a toss up as to which I like better. I like the composition of the original because the darker area at the bottom gives the photo a grounding, and then as you move upwards it gets lighter, in the sense of lifting one up.

Then the second one, as much richer more contrasty tones which is also very appealing. I am thinking of combining the original un-flipped version with the contrasty tones of the second, might be the best of both.

Overall the facets formed by the ripples in the water make for a wonderfully fascinating study and just keeps me glued to viewing it.

I quite like this abstract and put me down for the second version. I like the way my eye enters the bright area lower left and easily flows up the dark pattern to the upper right. Enjoyable colors and patterns. No suggestions here.

I’m all for the second one as well. I think it has to do with the contrast, as Youssef mentioned, and in particular, the sense of texture. I also think there is something interesting about the darkness being higher in the frame. It’s less typical (just from a visual weight perspective) to have the heavy color (dark) higher (where we usually in color images see more brightness).

I love these water abstracts. I’ve been a bit absent lately (stupid day job), but I’m trying to get back into it, and this is getting my juices flowing.

ML

Hi Lon, A beautiful and captivating abstract. Scrolling back and forth, I find a definitely prefer the first with lighter yellow in the bottom left corner. Now I’m left-handed so I don’t know how that may play into perceptions…

Lon, aren’t reflection abstracts fun? It seems to me that the 2nd post is a bit darker, with slightly more saturated colors and that makes it more attractive. (If that’s an illusion, it makes the viewing all the more interesting.) The colors and shapes are outstanding. For me, the 2nd version feels like a landscape view with a bright foreground & left side with a sense of fading into the distance in the upper right.

Beautiful image Lon and very creative! For me, I prefer the second, upside down image. Both in composition as well as the processing.

Lon, I had to do this ! Hope you like my approach !

1 Like

Thanks for the comments folks! Looks like the 2nd version has a slight edge. I think I might end up liking the flipped 2nd version, but probably play with the brightness and processing a bit.

Thanks @Youssef_Ismail, @Harley_Goldman, @Marylynne_Diggs (hurry back!), @Dave_Dillemuth, @Mark_Seaver and @Tom_Nevesely.

@Ben_van_der_Sande very cool rendition! I like it. I can’t think of the name of what this kinda abstract is… but hey, can you summarize how you did this? You can PM me if you want. Otherwise, no biggie. Thanks for the effort! And no, don’t mind at all.

Yes, the second one has more intense color and would go with that version over your first one. Pretty cool image. Well done…Jim

Lon, I prefer the orientation of the second image, but a processing closer to the first.

@Dave_Dillemuth “I find a definitely prefer the first with lighter yellow in the bottom left corner. Now I’m left-handed so I don’t know how that may play into perceptions…” Dave I too am left handed, but prefer the second image, so handedness may not be a factor. When I see the second image, it seems to be flowing up left to right, and when viewing the first image it “flows” left to right but down. I just prefer the upward “flow”.

I like what @Ben_van_der_Sande did in terms of making an abstract even more abstract. If you really want to delve into crazy photo art, you need to do an internet search on “Mandalas” created with images.

Lon,
Love the colors in this one and I prefer the second one as well.

Lon, slightly late to the party. This is a wonderful concept and I really love the golden color here. The splash of green is beautiful, too. I prefer the first one here though. The brighter exposure feels appropriate with the golden color and I do like the green reaching out from the right. It seems very balanced.

I guess I’m an outlier here, but like the first one. Anchoring darker colors in the bottom right just feels better and more appropriate to my eye.

Lon,
Definitely the first version for me although there is nothing wrong with the second one. Hard to explain why, but I am thinking it is the greens and I associate that color with grounding an image if that makes sense. The image is very mesmerizing with the array of yellow and green facets and makes for a beautifully conceived abstract. FWIW I also like @Ben_van_der_Sande’s version. Outstanding work.