Jumping Cholla

This is a blend of 4 shots done manually for depth of field.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Just trying to get an overall feel for the appeal for this shot and any major flaws that there might be.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Any and all.
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hey @Greg_Stokesbury.

For me those backlights at the cactus (cacti?) works really well, it channel my eyes to the detailed spikes.
I’m not really a fan of sunstars but it really works great on this image.
The clouds add a adicional interest to the top part of the image but I would raise the shadows on the rocks and a bit on the sky to create a more dynamic image.
Composition wise (IMO) the image could work better with more space around the foreground cactus.
Other then that it’s a great image and it carries a lot of details and interesting features.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

I think this is a well thought out composition with repeating patterns. The secondary chollas further back add richness to the comp as does the arc of chollas even further back. This image has a lot going for it.

A couple of suggestions. (1)I think that scar or sunlight in the dark area in the bottom left really hurts the image. It just doesn’t work with the rest of the comp. The best solution would seem to be to clone it out as best as possible. I tried cropping from the bottom and that gives a good image but you lose the sweeping arc of shadowed cholla on bottom right which looks really nice. (2) the chollas on the right feel cramped and could use a bit of space.

This is excellent, Greg. Beautiful backlighting and I really like the composition. Processing looks spot-on. Not a deal-breaker but if I had a wish it would be for more room around the sides of the foreground cacti.

Thanks @Dave_Dillemuth, @Igor_Doncov, @João_Ferrão for your input. Unfortunately I can change the lack of room around the bottom cholla. That’s probably why I waited so long to work on it. I remember being rushed for this shot because other photographers got in the way at the last minute. But I did take the input and put it to use in one form or another. Thanks again.

1 Like

I remember this location well. I hope I wasn’t one of those "other photographers " Greg

Hi Gary. How is it going. In your case it could be possible. Lol! No it’s more than likely you found the"spot" before I did. I remember wandering around way to much that morning.

That is most definite .