Jumping Pygmy Nuthatch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I believe this is a Pigmy nuthatch jumping from one part of the tree to another. There are quite a few of these and other nuthatch species in this area which is in the mountains north of Los Angeles was kind of misty in the background. The original image was a little blurred but I was able to sharpen things out with software and hopefully did not overdo it.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

iso 320, 400 plus 1.4X, f6,3, 2000th, handheld,A1

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

A really neat catch, David. I love the little bits of dislodged wood. The bird looks sharp-perhaps just slightly too much for my taste. A catchlight in the eye would have been nice as it just looks like a black hole, but some birds are just that way and if the light isn’t just right they don’t have one.

I love the action in this one David. Great timing to catch the jump. The BG is sweet. The stumps have character, and the little bits of flying wood are a nice touch.

Nice job in capturing this scene. The background is nice and I like how the bird is framed between the wood. Looks sharp.

A wonderful catch, but I wonder if there is a better way to fix the motion blur. What software did you use? I’ve had mixed bag success with Topaz Sharpen, with the motion blur settings and no other sharpening confusing things. AI has a way to go for motion blur.

Possibly the stump not being blurred is messing up the algorithm. You might try correcting a crop (without changing resolution) then overlay that back on the original frame.

Hi David
Very Cool.
Peter