Juniper Snag, Yucca Plants and Delicate Arch at Sunset

I always find it fun and challenging to create images at iconic locations that offer a unique perspective of such commonly photographed landscapes. Such was the case at Delicate Arch in November, 2006. Back then you could photograph sunset here without having to Photoshop out dozens of people. You also didn’t have to wait in line to get into the park, nor did you have to have a permit. At any rate, the combination of foreground yucca plants and this gnarly old snag, mixed with sweet sunset light on the sandstone and a few wispy clouds all came together to create one of my personal favorite images from this location.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Not looking for specific feedback but any suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon 1Ds MKII (probably)
Canon 24-105mm lens @ 24mm
f/22 (didn’t need it but back then I thought I did)
ISO 100
0.8s
Processed in LR Classic

2 Likes

Hi Bret,
that looks awesome. I love the color contrast.
That location seems to be a real playground for landscape photographers. No wonder there are queues at the entrance.

Bret,

Even for back then… kudos for bringing us a refreshing view. Although I’ve never been - over the years been pretty apparent I never needed to go since the classic view has been seen a million times.

Terrific near/far composition; colors and all look great! Thanks for sharing this view for us.

Lon

This is a very nice image, Bret. I love the two “monuments” - the yucca in the foreground framing the arch in the distance. I know you love the wispy sky, but honestly, from my point of view there’s too much of it and it detracts from the main focus of the picture, pulling my eye out of the frame. You have this as a 2:3 aspect ratio. Personally, I think 4:5 makes the image much stronger and accentuates the beautiful framing that the yucca branch and the stone on the left provide. See what you think:

Thank you, Kerry. I quite often crop to 4x5 ratio but for this one it doesn’t work for me. It places the arch a little too close to the top of the frame. I do appreciate the suggestion and your comment, though!

Thanks so much, Lon!