Canyon Juniper

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’ll like feedback on composition and editing.

Composition:
My idea with this tree was to isolate it but it prove really difficult from this point of view. First there are the bushes that are at the left, second in the places that I could minimize the visual impact of the bushes the space to put the tripod was really limited by the rock to the right, third this was taken a little after 12 pm, if I went too wide then there was a lot of harsh light hitting the top the crevice that this tree is located. It was kind of a lemons/lemonade situation and I tried to make the best out of it. I hike to this place to check out an arch in Arches NP but this tree caught my attention more than the arch.

Editing:
Mostly on colors and exposure overall. I’ve never take photos in canyons with reflected light and is something new to me.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

For the nerds:

Sony a6300, f/9.5, 28mm, ISO100, 1/8s
Light room basic edits and PS for contrast (color efex pro), dodge/burn, sharpening and add a bit of “breathing room” to the tree at the top via content aware fill.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I think you created a fabulous composition. For me, the bushes on the left balance the large boulder which occupies the center right. Good job!

1 Like

Jose,

I also think you’ve done a nice job isolating this good looking juniper. My initial thought was that I’d like a bit more room all the way around and simply let the sandstone help with the isolation; but then I figured there were things outside the frame you were trying to mitigate - like the harsh light to the right. Makes sense, and so I think you did the best with what was presented, in terms of comp and framing.

The only observation and suggestion has to do with the green bows in the juniper. I’m sure due to light fall off and differences, but the greens are different in different parts of the tree. On the left, and lower left bows, the green is more vibrant and a little cooler; where as the branches on the upper right are more yellow. I suppose because they’re exposed to more reflected light and the branches lower left are not, thus more blue? I think maybe exaggerated as well with the saturation level? (not overly saturated though.) Just my observation.

Also, the light has washed out a bit directly behind the tree. Not a deal killer for me though.

Lon

1 Like

Hi Jose!

I think your choice of subject is fantastic! The edit is nicely done as well.

The blown out highlight behind the tree isn’t too distracting but I think telling that if you maybe came back maybe a bit later in the day (or earlier), you could have photographed the tree with some great reflective light coming from either the left or right wall (depending on the suns position). But who knows, maybe you had to keep on hiking and I totally understand. Regardless, I think it is a great photo, nicely composed and a great edit!

Cheers.

1 Like

This tree portrait turned out quite nice. I think your adding a little room at the top was a great call. I might back off the tree saturation just a touch, but that is a personal preference call. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks all for your comments. As always really helpful.

@Tony_Siciliano yes! That why I left a little of the bushes, I think they serve as a leading line to create the dirt path that leads to the tree. I cropped them just enough so they would’t be too distracting.

@Lon_Overacker I did notice the difference in temperature between the left and right side of the tree, I guess it has to do with how the light was reflection off the walls. I’ll try to see how I can fix this.

I too wished that there was more space around the tree but the light on top was making it difficult. I took this hike as a sort of scouting mission and will definitely come back to this tree whenever I got back to Arches.

@Martin_Gonzalez , thanks for commenting. Yes, this was kind of a scouting mission and got there around 1:30 pm. Probably this location is better mid-morning in order to minimize the light coming behind the tree where the arch is. This is a beautiful tree I thought that I would give it a try and edit this photo to have a better idea on how to photograph it the next time I’m around that area.

Yes @Harley_Goldman, after sitting on it for two days I’m stating to see that I went a little overboard with the saturations of the greens, yellows, and oranges. Thanks for the comment.

1 Like

I think the saturation of the canyon is perfect. I wouldn’t back off on that. I would back off on the tree, however. Despite the physical presence of the tree the canyon is still the most attractive part for me. I would not try to separate the two but would make the tree a part of the canyon. The upper bush on the left is about how I would process the greens of the tree. The yellow bush in the llc draws the eye too much.

1 Like