Just Passing Through +Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With “Just Passing Through,” it’s as if the earth is showing us its passport through the passage of time, full of stamps from all the weather it has seen.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

23 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄500sec at ƒ/9

3 Likes

Amazing!! It could be a drone shot! I have no sense of scale, and none needed! Wonderful lines and shapes, and those mysterious circles are the cherry on the cupcake! My only suggestion is a request for more!

1 Like

What a wonderfull shot! Beautyfull color, yellow in varying degrees, strong composition with diagonal lines. I can feel the earth flowing. Well done, Don, show us more of it.

1 Like

This series gets better and better. :slight_smile: I really like the composition here.

1 Like

Love this kind of image, I have an connection with rocks. I like the contrast of the lines like a path and then the circles. The only thing I would look at to change is the black spot beneath the upper circle. I don’t know how you feel about post processing and changing what was actually there though. But I think you can go into acr and pick the black slider to take it off. If you want me to have a try let me know. Def my type of subject though.

1 Like

Don, this is superb! My eye immediately wants to travel that path from the lower left and up towards the center. From there, I have to make a decision about which path to take. Almost like a Robert Frost poem about the road not taken. The title fits perfectly with the subject. Aside from the lines, there is also a wonderful depth as we travel up the image. It feels like we are gaining elevation. Perhaps it depicts the uphill battles we face in life as we meander through our daily lives. Love this image!

Thanks Diane, appreciate your comment! More on the way. :+1:

Thanks Henny, glad you like it! :grinning:

Thanks Tomas, it grows, glad you like! :+1:

Hi Lorretta I have that same connection, rocks and trees for me. Please feel free to have a go at that shadow, I was in two minds about getting rid of it, would love to see what you do with it. Thanks! :+1:

Thanks Alfredo, appreciate your feedback, and I love the analogy and Robert Frost reference! :grinning:

Used frequency separation for splitting texture from color. Then used stamp tool to take out black spot. I also tried black and white. I am torn with color or black and white. However, I see other images in similar vein. Perhaps black and white connects them more? it’s an idea, but of course your vision.

1 Like

Very nicely done Lorretta! Yes I have a black and white version as well which has always been my preference but then B&W is really my preferred format. Thanks for your efforts! :pray:

I don’t know if you know how to use frequently separation. I don’t know how to do it myself. HOwever, I bought TK8 for photoshop plug in and it has a frequency separation in it. Find it invaluable for fixing color without affecting the texture, so it looks nature. I love your rock images. I think Im a rock hugger as well as a tree hugger. I think both of your rock images, would be more dynamic in black and white. You are welcome about removing the black mark, any time, love a challenge.

1 Like

Thanks again Lorretta, you have done a superb job. Following your lead I had a go at it myself which is not as clean as yours, leaves a small amount of shadow. Never heard of TK8 I will look into it. I work in Lightroom for the main part, I do any major edits in Photoshop. Rocks and trees are well worth hugging, its a practice I try to make a habit of. Nearly all my images have a B&W version, it does not seem as popular and I seem to get very little feedback on them so I post color.

Here is my effort let me know if it passes muster, and I’ll put it up as a Rework.