Kenya's Most Famous Elephant

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

We now have a large print hanging. I am considering getting it printed on canvas.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is Craig, Amboseli National Park’s largest and most photographed tusker. I had my first Sony mirrorless, the a7, converted to infrared before we headed to Kenya with the hope of getting this image. I was thrilled to be able to sit on the ground just outside the park boundary and have this huge elephant stand before me while I photographed him in wide-angle.

Technical Details

Sony a7 converted to infrared, Sony 24-70 f/4 lens @25 mm, 1/1250th, f/8, ISO 400.

1 Like

Wonderful scene here, Charles. I’m sure it is very impressive as a large print and the canvas idea might even be a better version. Regardless, it is an excellent image as seen here… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Charles, he’s a beauty! Wow. And you actually sat on the ground in front of him?? I’m impressed. The IR works well — I like the way you processed it with the sepia background stronger than the elephant, which stands out very nicely.

1 Like

Incredibly striking, sharp and beautiful image! It looks like the elephant is posing for the image. It seems like it may not be real, also the background seems like a backdrop.

Thanks! It is all very real. It was one of those experiences you never forget.

1 Like