Koala

Hanson Bay Preserve, Kangaroo Island, Australia (wild)

2018:08:25 20:35:59
Nikon D850
Nikon 180-400mm @ 200mm

1/160 sec, f/10
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
ISO: 1000
AF mode: AF-C
White balance: SUNNY
Flash: Off

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

f/10 did the trick on the depth of field on this one, Sandy. There are a couple of areas on the sides that are bright enough to pull my eye, but not too badly. Have you considered a tight vertical crop?

I think the photo works fine but I think a larger aperture with more focus on the subject would look good.

Thanks, Dennis and Dan - This is only the first of the Koala images; I’ll process others in different ways.
I’m becoming very fond of F10 with my particular set-up. I usually try to get the BG in reasonable focus, as I can always blur a BG in post-processing, but can’t make an originally-blurred BG sharp.
Sandy

Very nice image of Koala and the wonderful set up here, I like how you photographed him in the V fork of the tree. I’m ok with the BG at F 10, but may prefer to reduce the sharpness of the branches, he is sitting.

Never seen one of these in the Wild, must be a great experience . Great image!

Sandy: I like the framing of the koala in the V of the branches and also like having most of its environment in focus. F10 gave you great detail in the koala. I think a portrait orientation crop would serve you well as an alternative.