Lace Lichen

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went up the hill behind the house to check out the blossoms on a Black Oak. They were higher than I remembered (always the case) and I got frustrated trying to move the tripod by 2" on a slope to control BGs. The slope went down to the tree so the camera was aimed up with the hill rising behind it and it was difficult getting the composition right, even with the reticulating viewfinder. Also difficult to move it without slipping and taking rig with me. So I looked around and found this lichen close to eye level and parallel to the slope.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! A few dewdrops would have been nice and there may be a chance soon.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 12.53.03 PM

Small stack. Some cropping and rotation to give 35% of the original frame. Filled in a couple of corners. Yellowish area in UR tamed. BG is spring grass. The subject is about 3-4"across.

Yay for stupid tripod tricks!

And for not falling ass over teakettle as they say.

What a striking find. I can’t say I’ve ever come across this type of lichen before. The way it grows is so crazy and seems reckless in some way. Asking for trouble. I wonder if there is an epiphyte relationship in here somewhere. Lichens are such interesting partnerships between plants and fungi that I wouldn’t be surprised.

Anyway…great job on isolating this so we can see it in all its glory. The suspension lines and that loop - reminds me of the webs drugged spiders make in the name of science. I wonder what the little bumps are on the flat bits - they seem to be randomly placed, but probably aren’t. And the lace bits - woah. You NEED to get in there with a macro and study those a bit. The curving shapes remind me of how black holes are sometimes drawn with lines to show their true shapes. Really a treat to look at in detail. Brave the slope again!!

1 Like

Diane, what a great find, and capture for sure. A treat to the eyes. I have never seen lichen like this. Dewdrops on it is the only improvement that I could think of to make this spectacular image even better. Hope you get the drops. Be careful on the slopes though, you don’t want to hurt yourself or the gear. Very nice!