Tiny worlds

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another reward for working outside (during another break in our nonstop rainy weather). It was almost bizarrely calm (or so I thought) and I went in for the rig in hopes of finding an artistic piece of lace lichen, which always wants some degree of focus stacking. Of course when I got back out – hurriedly – there was a soft breeze. So I looked for something that would sit still. I was happy to find this little branch (about 1/2" across) at eye level and reasonably anchored.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 10.24.24 AM

Very minor tonal adjustments in LR; stack of about 15 to Zerene Stacker. The Dmap back to PS for denoise (hardly needed) and very slight lightening of the dark area in the top right.

1 Like

Oh, what is not to love about this, Diane. The different lichen, the nicely bent limb, the smooth BG that compliments the subject, and the composition, makes for eye candy, in my opinion. I can’t think of a thing I would change. :+1: :+1:

A great find, Diane and superbly photographed. There’s all kinds of stuff growing on that branch and all of it is interesting.

Wow! Colors, lines, sharpeness. Like @Shirley_Freeman said, what not to love?

1 Like

woo hoo! Super find. So many species in one little spot. They are such great colonizers! Terrific s-curve in the branch and the stack looks pretty decent except for a couple of spots where there was substantial overlap - my nemesis! Fabulous job with the color harmony, too. It’s hard to get the exact shade of some lichens and this looks really good. Plus background is way off and I love that. Sticks are so portable!

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman, @Dennis_Plank, @Cathy_Proenza and @Kris_Smith! Yeah - I should have done a little microsurgery a few places. And should have nabbed the free-floating bit – odd how those things show up sometimes. It was very wet, which gave it an odd look. It’s been damp and cloudy but no rain in a couple of days – I should go back and find it again today and see if it looks different not wet. I think the air will be calm enough. The BG is a creek bank with grass starting to grow.

1 Like

Diane: What an overload of textures and details! A terrific find and comp with a marvelous color palette. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks, @Bill_Fach – I had some good light helping. And thanks to you and @Kris_Smith for the EP – a lovely surprise!

That was all Bill or Shirley since I don’t moderate macro. One job at a time, lady! :laughing:

Wow, Diane. This is beautifully artistic. The curving branch and all of the various lichen and colors are superb. Don’t forget about that dreamy background. It all comes together in a gorgeous, almost 3 dimensional image. It may be dry today but we have an atmospheric river storm ready to dump almost 8 inches of rain in a couple of days. Yikes! Get those backup shots now! :joy:

Thanks, @David_Haynes! (The rain forecast doesn’t look so bad up here – we’ve been lucky so far.) And redirecting my heartfelt thanks for the EP to @Shirley_Freeman, in addition to Bill! (Am I getting to the point I can’t do one thing at a time?? )

1 Like

When you look at this enlarged you really do get the feeling of being in a tiny world. The detail is exquisite. Congrats on the EP; well deserved.

Thanks, @Allen_Brooks! It was tiny – I said I thought it was 1/2" across but I went back for another look and it’s more like 1/4". But the light was no good and the draping lichen was gone so no redo.

1 Like

Fabulous, Diane! I get an extra kick from this by imagining it as part of a huge branch in some primordial jungle.

Thanks, @Mike_Friel – and of course it is!! Size perspective is relative in the biggest sense – from quarks (the subunits of protons and neutrons in atomic nuclei) to the so-far-largest-known structures of bubbles in the universe whose walls are galactic clusters. We don’t rate very big on that scale. That branch and our planet are about the same relative size.