A whole little world

I hiked up the hill again today, hoping to do a better job with the pieces of low-hanging lace lichen from several days ago. With my usual luck, it was all gone! And the air movement was more than I thought it would be. I did find this Manzanita branch that was still enough for a stack – good thing, as I couldn’t get square to it because of a tangle of dead branches.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 5.06.08 PM

Stack of about 30 (may not have used some at the far end). Held up a diffuser as it was sunny. Very minimal processing – shadows and highlights in LR, minor BG cloning to soften some detail in PS.

1 Like

I just love these little lichen scenes Diane. I look and look and look further into them and lose myself in a tiny world that is amazing. Amongst the many, grand, landscape scenes on NPN, to me the small scenes of life like this one of yours bring a sense of reality and life. Great stuff. Cheers,

Diane, this is a great find and capture of the “little world” around us. I love the curved limb that the lichen is on, and the BG is so smooth it just makes the subject stand out so nicely. Excellent shot.

Love this little world of yours, Diane! When zoomed in I did feel like I was on a different planet. Just a thought, perhaps crop a bit off the bottom and top might help to emphasize the detail and textures more? Very nicely seen and captured.

Thanks, @Phil_G, @Shirley_Freeman and @linda_mellor! I did have an urge to crop more closely to show off the lichen detail better, but like the downward sweep of the limb, which was as shown. I might shoot it again, eliminating the yellow pieces at the top and going for more of a diagonal to give more canvas to the gray pieces. I need to remember to bring heavy-duty pruners to give myself a little more room to stand. This is a very large bush or small tree that is mostly collapsed dead wood.

2 Likes

I enjoy your photo very much, Diane. The direction flow of the branch and the fine details came out very well. The soft background really helps with the contrast as well. Wonderful photo!