Lake Superior

This is a drone shot from last March of the ice breaking up on Lake Superior. The ice creates beautiful patterns that are really best seen from the air. I wanted to convey the nature of the ice but also include the horizon for something to be a bit of a guide to what you were seeing.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m not quite happy with it and I’m not sure what bugs me about it exactly. I’m hoping to be able to find similar events this winter and would like to improve how I capture them.

Technical Details

DJI Mini 2. Edited in Lightroom.

Here’s the uncropped version. I cropped mostly to remove the island in the upper left.

Hi Cameron,
A nice scene you have captured here. IMO you could delete the sky, the reflectioon of the sky is enough to give a clue. Here is a quick crop:

1 Like

Thanks Ola. That looks good.

I think that this is very cool and I think you made the right choice in cropping it as I feel that the image is stronger without the island. Have you tried dodging the ice a little bit? I feel that it the ice were a bit brighter that the overall image would have a bit more pop. Here’s a quick and dirty edit:

1 Like

Thank you Tom! You are right that does help. I think what I need to do if I get the opportunity to take another shot like this I’d like the foreground to lead better into the back. Your edit does help make it more prominent which I think helps that.