Winter (Bl)Hues

Hi,
This an abstract image I took while exploring the shores of Lake Superior. I didn’t see the gradient of blue/grey hues in the ice right away but once I did I hoped it would come through in a photograph. I had a difficult time editing this one because of the haze in the air. Using the dehaze tool really brings up the contrast and makes the colours pop but I went too far in previous edits in my opinion and the ice started looking a bit unnatural, particularly in the grey areas. This is the more toned down and subtle version I settled on and is the closest to reality and the vision I had for the photograph when I took it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition, tones, contrast.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this a lot Joel. It’s not often that you see a 45 degree horizon going right through the middle of the image, but this works for me. Having that much grey/blue sky helps to convey a feeling of cold that reinforces the rest of this winter image. I think the ice looks good, the aqua tones are right on. I’m glad you used restraint with de-haze, it would have detracted from the somewhat high-key approach you ended up taking. Nicely done.

Hi Ed,

Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. When I cropped I wanted the ice and the negative space of the sky to split half of the frame respectively. I ended up making a few more minor adjustments by slightly reducing the exposure of the sky and slightly increasing the the dehaze because I think there needed to be a bit more dark aqua tones at the bottom to balance out the dark grey tones at the top. Here it is:

and the original raw for comparison: