Lake Wenatchee

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I feel like this picture is not balanced, but would like your thought on that

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This picture was taken after a dump of snow overnight and I wanted to catch the collision of winter and fall along with the mood. Now I am not sure about the composition and the post processing but I do like the overall feeling of the photo.
What do you think?

1 Like

Yes, the overall feeling is strong. I really like the composition. I don’t know why you would question that. The yellow leaves are pretty strong but I think that’s what makes the image. They add most of the drama to this image, that and the bright snow. I like your image very much. Good job.

Very nice, mood! I feel a bit of a disconnect between the foreground and the background but the yellow leaves somewhat connect the two. I agree with Igor, the bright snow works really well.

Good one. The composition works for me. I agree with @Igor_Doncov on why you would question that and with @Adhika_Lie that the FG leaves connects you the the BG.

Hi @francis, i think it’s a good image.
Regarding compostion, FG add interest to the scene but in my opinion it does not lead the eye into the frame, i would try a centered FG instead of it. It’s a personal opinion, the image works well as is. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, this image has tremendous mood. I love seeing images that can capture the transition from fall to winter, and this one does a very good job of that. I agree with the others comments that bright snow in the LRC works well, and creates a nice contrast against the darker tones in the image. This is a very dramatic image, well done…

I’d like to discuss “unbalanced”, a term that can apply to either composition or luminosity. I think the composition is good overall. If I had to get nitpicky, I wish there was something more of interest in the lower left corner (LLC), The rock has a lot of visual weight, so some folks might argue the LRC is heavy relative to the LLC. Having the mountain and dramatic sky go across the entire frame helps restore some balance to the composition.

I do think the luminosity could be balanced better by slightly dodging the lighter tones in the sky and mountain, to help counterbalance the foreground snow. This would also emphasize the yellow trees on the distant shore, which helps your seasonal story. Here is a rework showing my points. I used TK Luminosity masks to dodge the lighter tones in the sky and mountain.

Hi Francis,

Wow, a really nice scene. What I find particularly interesting is the color palette of the white of the snow vs the greys, plus the Autumnal yellows on the tree line and the leaves in the foreground.
… One thing I’m not so sure of on the other hand, is the sky which looks a bit unnatural to me. In any case, and irrespective, my proposition here would be to maybe add a punchline to the most interesting elements of this composition, and especially to the yellow colored tree line in the distance. I’d do that by removing the right most part of the image. By doing that, I also feel like the resulting composition is a bit more balanced. So, here’s my suggested alternative version:

This is a custom crop mind you, just because I quickly edited with the default win app. If you like this approach, I’d suggest the standardized 4:5 ratio. That’s all that I would do really, and it’s purely subjective… This is already a really nice image anyway, with a beautiful feel and atmosphere to it… kudos ! :clap:

Nikos

Thank you all for all comments and words of encouragement. You really gave me some good tips and I will review the picture again and make some adjustment.
I really appreciate your help.

1 Like