Last Stand

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hubby and I were driving around the Sacramento River delta area (northern California) where there is a lot of mixing of old and new. I’m not sure what the old machinery is, but the contrast with the wind turbines was too good to pass up. It’s like that old chassis is shaking it’s metaphorical fist at the wind turbines - “You kids get off my lawn!”

Specific Feedback

Not looking for any specific feedback. I used to make a lot of images like this - the deadpan, “New Topographics” genre. I still enjoy it, but I don’t feel the need for critique so much (if you want to chime in, go ahead, though!).

Technical Details

a7r3, probably f/16, 1/125s - nothing unusual.

1 Like

Bonnie, yes a dramatic contrast here between the wind turbines and the farming unit. If the unit is laying on it’s side It appears to be a furrow cutter or soil turner of some sort. I spent a lot of time farming & ranching as a teen. Always interesting to see the cast off old hardware that truly helped win or tame the west so to speak…a neat find… :cowboy_hat_face:
The area has a real scary FIRE look to it also… :woozy_face:

Cool – I love the juxtaposition of old and new!! Nice framing of verticals, and the leaning post on the right is the perfect touch!

But actually, it does look pretty HOT, especially if shot in the last week or so. The hazy sky suggests both humidity and urban air pollution. The tall dry grass does look like its ready for spontaneous combustion. The Delta is just west of Sacramento and is hot and humid, but not as bad as what we have been seeing in the south and SW. I’m guessing this might be the area with so many wind turbines near Rio Vista?

Nice juxtaposition of old and new. There is a lot to look at in this image once you start really looking. Keeps my interest.

The technology juxtaposition makes it easy to see why you stopped for a photo. The old machinery looks like what was used to break of the dirt clods after plowing but before planting. Now a days, with no-till farming, they plow a small furrow and put the seeds in directly as they plow, leaving most of the field undisturbed.

1 Like