Driven to a standstill

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Given what we were driving, dirt roads were out of the question when we were in northern Minnesota, so when something gorgeous appeared on the main paved roads, I had to stop. This barn was too much to pass by. I’m not sure it’s 100% abandoned since there was a house up the driveway that is out of frame to the right. But it looked pretty lonely and of course the fall color supports the scene so well.

Specific Feedback

Processing ideas welcome. Can’t go back and reshoot it!

Technical Details

Handheld w/highlight weighted metering

Lr for the crop to 16:10 and some work to enhance the color and improve white balance. Added some texture and sharpening. Photoshop to do a little remove tool magic and add a subtle Orton effect in the highlights.

Wonderful old barn in a lovely setting. Were you able to get any without the fence? For me, if it weren’t there I think I would get a stronger sense of abandonment and mystery. The building looks like it has stories to tell. I wonder if there is more tonal detail in the sky – for me that would suggest more mystery, as well.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - no, I don’t have any without the fence. There’s a deepish ditch directly in front of my that I didn’t want to wade into. I could make the fence disappear with the magic of Photoshop and might do it as an experiment, but I kind of like the fence for framing and underscoring the shape of the hill.

I was VERY careful with the sky since I didn’t want it to look over processed, but maybe I could crank the contrast a bit there. It was spitting rain off and on all day so definitely had a thick cloud deck up there.