Prominence

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I made a point to revisit this abandoned building and its enormous companion on our way back through Minnesota. It was an overcast day with just a little rain here and there and I liked the relationship between these two.

Specific Feedback

Processing thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for everything including some work with the new Color Point tool. Seriously I was able to get some contour and feeling from this that I wouldn’t have been able to do with the traditional HSL slider or the Luminance masking options. Did a bit of a crop to eliminate another building to the right. Denoise AI and some some sharpening. Also a little texture. Masking to bring up the building more in the scene. A few distractions removed.

1 Like

Thanks for breaking the ice on this new forum, Kris. I appreciate it a lot. I really like this scene with that gorgeous willow in the foreground and the old building in the background. So many of our old buildings around here had corrugated steel roofs put on at one stage of their existence that it’s hard to find a really photogenic one. I also like the little brown streak along the bottom that grounds the image nicely. A very, very minor nit: in both upper corners there’s a tiny bit of contrasting color that grabbed my eyes.

Thanks again for the inaugural post for this forum.

No problem, @Dennis_Plank - Glad you like this scene - it’s a bit unusual for me because the tree is so big in the scene. Not sure if the tree’s size has anything to do with the fact that this is on an Indian Reservation or not, but that’s where it is. I’ve posted in Non-nature before and had zero reaction or reply, but I do shoot a fair amount of abandonment and countryside these days. When I lived in NH I haunted cemeteries all the time. Such beautiful ones in New England and we don’t have that here, so nothing new on that front.

Funny about this category, I see a ton of photos posted in Weekly Challenge that don’t meet the rules because of human elements, but no one seems to want to post here. I’m happy to keep inundating you if you like. Stick season is almost here, gas prices are down and I feel an abandonment mission coming on.

Kris, I love old buildings. I always think about how they were someone’s dream, home, business, or something. Now they are abandoned and forgotten. I appreciate you photographing them to keep their existence in remembrance. I’m not sure if I have anything in archives that might be fitting. When we first moved to NC 19 years ago my goal was to photograph old tobacco barns but like @Dennis_Plank said, metal roofs were put on many of them. Looking forward to your new capture you hope to get of old abandoned buildings.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - yeah, abandonment has its own emotional quagmire sometimes, but I can’t help myself and keep shooting it.

1 Like

This is neat, I’m trying to view and type on an iPad in a motel that was apparently built before they had electricity here and my recharging plugs keep falling out of the outlets so I may not stay on long. But had to say this looks like the Deep South on first glance. I think it’s the big tree. But the white building suggests the South too. Excellent colors and tonal separations. I have got to dig into the new PS offerings. You keep challenging me. Keep doing it!

Thanks @Diane_Miller - sorry about your prehistoric accommodations. Hope you get some good eclipse shots going back in time like that. :laughing:

Yeah, it does have a bit of a southern vibe now you mention it. Funny that’s in almost the most northern part of the continental US. I forget how big Minnesota is and how much of it is north of even where I am.

The new stuff in ACR & Lr is interesting and I’m SO GLAD that we can do fine color work with targeted adjustments rather than global. So far I like it a lot for that.

What’s great about this image is how well it shows off the hugeness of the tree! It’s a great tree and that barn or whatever it is with it’s white peeling paint really compliments it and together they tell the story of time passing by – at least to me it does. Also, the even, soft overcast light really works beautifully here.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely - the tree is enormous! Without the building, and especially the door in it, the scale wouldn’t be recognizable so it’s a bonus. Actually, I stopped for a different building that proved more difficult to photograph and that I haven’t processed yet. Walking from the car to that one showed me this and the arrangement I could make with the tree. The light was another bonus.

1 Like