Late afternoon

I was a week in Austria, to see at least a bit of snow this winter. At the end of the afternoon, just before the sun disappeard behind the mountains, the landscape was covered with patterns of shadow and light.

Specific Feedback Requested

There are tracks of people, walkers, at the right edge of the image. I would prefer to see an image without them, but are the bothering you?
Any other comments are welcome as well.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Pentax K3 Mk. iii, Sigma 17-70mm @48mm, 1/800s, f/13, ISO200.

1 Like

This is such a lovely image. In many ways it reminds me of the DV sand dune images, except for the trees. It also has commonality with the Palouse compositions in Washington. The composition is excellent in my point of view. It’s interesting how the curves in the dunes are to an extent repeated by the clouds. I also think the widescreen format works well for all the horizontal subject matter. The footprints don’t bother me because I just change my thinking from an untouched nature scene to one near a resort. It’s just a different way of looking at it. I could see decreasing the blues even further as an experiment.

Absolutely stunning image. Wonderful late light and terrific composition. I see the footprints on the right…It might be a real challenge getting rid of those…they don’t really bother me…

Excellent work, Hans.

For me the tracks are not much of a bother. The contrast between the light and shadow and lovely rolling shapes of the terrain hold my attention.

Thank you, @Igor_Doncov , @David_Bostock and @DeanRoyer for your kind comments.
Decreasing the blues a bit, as suggested by @Igor_Doncov , might be a good idea. I processed the raw file at first in DxO Photolab, mainly for the excellent optical corrections, and exported the result in DNG format. The result was developed in HSV color space and expanded to maximum range, then some minor curve corrections. Since colors tend to saturate if brightened in HSV space, the blue sky came out a bit more saturated. This looks more or less like the “real” scene, but a bit less saturation will do no harm. I’ll give it a try.