Latourell Falls Cascade

This is a pretty popular (and really accessible) waterfall in the Columbia River Gorge. I’ve shot this one a few different ways, but never from quite this angle- which is only really accessible when the flow is light in the summer. I was still standing in about 1 foot of water for this one, but that would be 3 feet of mush faster water in winter or spring. I’d love to get feedback on the overall weight and balance of the image as well as anything else you notice.

Sony A7riii
Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8

f/10
.6 sec
ISO 50

Instagram- @danhawkphotography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I feel like this is nicely balanced, Dan. I like the (mostly) symmetrical composition for this image and your choice of framing presents a much more abstract view of this waterfall. The color and contrast also look nice as well. No nits from me!

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Hawk amazing image. Love the details on those rock on the background. The composition is spot on. Maybe, and it’s a big maybe (by personal preference) I would slow the shutter a bit more to create a more “foamy” effect on the fore ground. Still, I love this picture thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

João Ferrão

1 Like

I personally find the central column of water that effectively bisects the picture just a wee bit static and I find myself trying to look around either side of it at what is frankly a wonderful backdrop of vegetation and shapely rocks. The one thing that really sways me into the like it lots camp though is that symmetrical triangular rock dead centre over which the column of water falls it goes a long way to justifying your compositional choice.

1 Like

For me not a image of nature, a picture of symmetry that has little to do with nature. The bolt of water (light?) coming from somewhere and disappearing into a earth crack? We all see differently.
Thanks for Posting

1 Like

This is a critique forum so I was looking for something to critique and came up empty. Nice shot.:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Dan, this is an excellent take on this often photographed location. I actually love how you made such strong use of symmetry here. Symmetry does indeed exist in nature, and when you can showcase it beautifully like this, I think it tells a strong nature story. Yeah, the waterfall is dead center, but the way you have so thoughtfully arranged everything else in the image really creates a lot of visual interest for the viewer. To me this image is about much more than a symmetric composition, it’s about the basaltic rocks in the cliff, and the lush greenery of the Gorge. Brilliant work…

I assume this image was taken before the terrible forest fire in the Columbia Gorge, I wonder what this looks like now ?

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words and thoughtful ideas. And @Ed_McGuirk, this was taken last Thursday! This particular falls didn’t suffer any fire damage.

Dan, I like the symmetry here. I think the centered waterfall is offset just enough by the off-center V of green moss and basalt columns above. I really like this composition, and processing looks good too. I could see taking a bit of the cyan out of the whitewater in the center foreground, and moreso the right side cascade, but this is quite nice as presented.

1 Like

That’s great to hear Dan !!! I live back east, and have only been to the Columbia Gorge once, and after the fire I was afraid that I might not ever make it back there again. So it’s nice to see that some parts of the Gorge were spared.

1 Like