How dry I am

How dry I am

This is the spectacular Dry Creek Falls in the Columbia River Gorge just outside Portland! It plunges 74 feet over a basalt wall in a secluded amphitheater and is easily reached via the famous Pacific Crest Trail. At the base of the falls are the remains of a water diversion works. In the 1930s, the rapidly expanding town of Cascade Locks got its water supply from this location during the construction of the Bonneville Dam. The creek was channeled into a tunnel and thus ran “dry” on its original bed. This time of year, this waterfall is gushing like a fire hydrant!

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C most welcome. Curious what you think of the water in the lower section of the photo. Too bright? What else would you recommend? Thanks!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon 16-35mm
19mm
ISO 125
1.3s
F13

sdfenton
1 Like

I think it is very difficult to capture the splendour of a falls without becoming cliched. But this one has some exceptional qualities that set it apart. I absolutely love the “fire hydrant” gushing of the falls themselves and the way it so dramatically emerges from the lichen-green cliff face. The lighting back up in there is exquisite. I also love the baleen -like striations along those back walls, which gives the cliff face the feel of a living being. The light and shadow along that back wall makes the image seem almost abstract, which is very compelling. The various greens and rust colours work wonderfully together and the textures and detail hold my eye and have me gladly wandering about the scene. I can almost hear the roar of the water and feel the dampness. I like the shutter speed for the falls themselves but, and this is strictly a matter of personal taste, I think I might like to go a little faster for the water coming through the rocks. That being said, the white of the water from front to back certainly draws my eye in. The one recommendation I would have is to crop from the bottom to about 4:5 - cropping up to the bottom of the centre-most rock, second up from the bottom. Too much up front feels a bit distracting and holds me back a bit from where my eye wants to go - to where the falls and the ground meet. Well seen and well executed, Scott.

1 Like

Excellent take on this waterfall, Scott. Well done. I think the highlights on the foreground water could be dialed back just a touch, but not much. I like the comp as is. Nice. I have never been to this fall. Will have to try to get there this spring.

1 Like

Thanks David! It’s a 2 mile hike about 800’ elevation. Definitely worth the trek.

1 Like

Kerry - Thanks so much for this in-depth review! I really appreciate your comments and recommendations for this image. Will try a crop and see how that looks. Thanks again!