Falls creek falls

A waterfall scene in the heart of waterfall land in the PNW.
Settings:
1 sec
F/16
ISO 200
(No Lightroom adjustments)

Have you considered only including the lower falls? Sometimes less is more. That’s what I would do.

Harrison, the lower portion of the falls is at a very pleasing angle flowing from a slight angle and falling into a wonderful pool below. And your slower shutter speed works well from this generous distance. The upper parts look to have potential. Although I agree with Igor that the star for me is the lower part. Unfortionately cropping as shot feels too cramped. I don’t know the location, but maybe a higher position is possible to allow some space above the lower falls? However it can be dome this has some great potential. You have some wonderful greenery to frame it in the surroundings.

Harrison,

A fine and classic composition. This is framed well and I like the inclusion of both sections of the falls. I think you would need a different vantage point to separate them. although I’ve never been, I’m pretty sure folks are limited on view points - that is unless you want to bring in a ladder or dangle from a rope… :wink:

Colors and processing look good and a bit different than your previous post. This looks quite natural with no color casts. I suppose you have some leeway on punching up the greens/yellows that the PNW is so well known for - but of course all about personal choice and preferences.

Well done,

Lon

I took too much off the right. I like those branches coming in from the side.

Maybe this:

1 Like

Yes, this didn’t go through either photoshop or Lightroom, so less saturated. Thank you!

Thanks for the tips! I really like those 2 edited versions, I’m loving this network so much, I have already learned a lot!

Harrison, after some thought, I have to agree with @Lon_Overacker regarding limited vantage points. There are many times I wish I could shoot from a ladder or even a bucket truck :wink: for certain locations, and from what I’ve seen your spot looks like the only option. I also really like the crop options @Lon_Overacker posted. You are off to a good start, and I really hope you are able to continue your participation. You are very fortunate to be in one of the most photographable regions of the Lower 48.

I’ve shot Falls Creek several times, and have yet to capture something I’m happy with. The limited vantage is a tough nut to crack. My favorites of others’ I’ve seen have used sun stars to add interest at the top; I need to try for that some day.

I love your water texture, and think Igor’s crops are great options too.

Harrison this is one of my favorite waterfalls. I have been here many times. I think the main problem with this shot is that it is a little cock eyed. It needs to be rotated clockwise so as the middle stream of of the upper falls is more perpendicular. I think that will help. However in my opinion the best shot is down below where that upper waterfall is a small piece of the shot in the upper right of the shot and you have a lot of great trees backing up the main falls.