Laudable Spire + Rework

Rework

Rework 2

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

An icon in a different light?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Cumulous clouds move across the sky above Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly in late afternoon. The sun’s low angle and warm rays highlight the towering spire and cast its shadow on the wall behind it.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5

Canon EF 16-35mm @ 24mm; f/22 @ 1/8 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish.

First reaction was to marvel at the sun dial effect in the evening light. Then admired the texture in the sky that was subtle enough to not detract from the tower. I realize the canyon was shadowed, but a but more luminosity and texture on the left side would feel more balanced to me.

Thank you @Dick_Knudson for your kind remarks and suggestion. I have reworked the image to increase the luminosity of the left cliffs.

I have been to that very location some time ago. I like your represention in B&W. While the first image is fine by itself, I do like what you did in the rework, bringing up the light on the left side of the canyon. it off sets the light on the stone spire. One suggestion, perhaps tone down the hightlights in the sky.

Thank you @gDan52 for your kind remarks and suggestion. I have toned down the highlights in the sky as you suggested and reposted the image.

1 Like