Layer upon layer

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of the reasons I am always very willing to take the polarizing filter OFF my lens is I love reflections. These reflections of the bluish sky, on the top of newly formed ice with (white) air bubbles embedded in the ice below and a modeled brown lake bottom below that, I found particularly enchanting. I enjoyed finding a magic combination the shapes of the bubbles. An added bonus, was the discovery of a hole in the ice, where even more reflections off the thin layer of water (with green below that!) in the bottom can be seen.

Specific Feedback

any and all

Technical Details

Sony @6000, 1/80, f/16, 70mm, ISO6400 with minor adjustments to tone curves in LR

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I love finding bubbles and patterns, so this one caught my eye. The contrast of the blue and brown is nice. The straight and angled lines of the ice over the wonderful curves of the bubbles works well. The green thing on the very edge at the right of the photo bothers me. It keeps drawing my eye away from the rest of the photo and since it is right against the edge seem intrusive. Otherwise, great shot.

John: This reminds me of some of Mark’s work with ice. I hope you take that as the compliment intended. Marvelous color palette and patterns. I agree with Chris regarding the leaf(?) and just played around with some AI replacement. Kind of scary what this stuff can do. Back to you. >=))>

While I’ve long loved the bit of green, I may now be convinced to at least make it more subtle. Thank you @Bill_Fach and @Chris_Baird .

Hey, it’s your photo. If you like the leaf, keep it. :slightly_smiling_face: What if you rotated the image so the leaf is at the bottom? It doesn’t seem to stand out as much.

John, you’ve captured an excellent mix of shapes, colors and textures here. Personally, I really like the “surprise” that the green leaf and it’s attached spiral add.