Layers

This is another image from the same outing as my last post. The layers of color in the meadow is what originally caught my eye so I decided to try and incorporate the trees into the image. I had thought about cloning out the limb at the base of the tree, but I thought I would see what other’s thought.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200 mm, f 16 @ 1/50 sec, ISO 400, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ed, this is my favorite of your images from that field. Nice flow from left to right and I love the emerging yellow buds. As for the branch, I’m non committal. It kind of balances the image but I don’t think you do any damage if you remove.

I am enjoying this one, Ed. The tree structure works well in the comp and I quite like the multi-layering, both in terms of color and the variety of vegetation. Like Michael, I am indifferent to the branch you are thinking of cloning. It works as presented and I think it would work just as well without. No suggestions here.

Ed, you are making me jealous with these spring images. I went out scouting this morning for spring foliage, and it’s been so cold in April that we still have almost nothing starting yet. I actually prefer this comp with that branch on the left included. I think that branch, with it’s lean to the left, creates some counter-balance to the right-ward flow of the large tree. This little bit of visual tension creates a more dynamic image for me.

I really like the yellow buds on the tree, but I would try to tweak this to give them a little more prominence, i think they blend into the background too much. You could try locally darkening and/or cooling the darker tones in the far background, in an attempt to get more separation of the yellow buds from that background. But that is a nit, overall this is a very pleasing image of a tree that has a lot of character.

Sure do love this Ed…Beautiful light and color. What a great shot and as your brother states, great visual flow. As for the branch…I see it as a distraction. Regarding @Ed_McGuirk’s point, the vertical tree standing tall and straight to the left of the closer tree serves as a much better anchor to balance the L—>R flow. If you choose to clone it out, I’d do likewise to the straggler on the tree behind it, but in the same general region.

Love this, @Ed_Lowe. Love the yellow flowers on the ground and the yellowish buds/new leaves and I like the mix of greens and brown brush. The small branches don’t bother me at all but if you do decide to clone it, I would follow @Jim_McGovern’s suggestion and clone both climbs.

Many thanks to @Michael_Lowe, @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk, @Jim_McGovern and @Bill_Chambers for taking a moment to leave a thought. I included a repost below the original for comparison. I adjusted the midtones in levels and tried lightening the yellow buds a little for a little more separation. Looks better I think although I will work on it some more. I still haven’t decided about the branch, but I am leaning towards keeping it; at least for now. :smiley:

@Ed_McGuirk: It’s coming. I will be the jealous one when our new spring growth is done while you are enjoying yours. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
@Jim_McGovern and @Bill_Chambers: I agree with you guys, if I clone I will do it to both those limbs.

Hi Ed. I like the original better than the revised version. I like the concept of the revision but I think you went overboard IMHO. Looks much too dark for my taste, which kinda negates the whole spring feeling.

Ed, I just like it as it is. Especially your use of color.

Thanks for your kind words @Ben_van_der_Sande.
Thanks @Bill_Chambers; I thought I might have went a little to dark. I will try something in between and see how that looks.