Last One

I see my brother beat me to it and posted a similar version of this scene. After I noticed it I thought about posting something else, but then thought I would post it anyway just because I processed mine so differently. I think both work, but to me they evoke entirely different moods.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 2 200 mm, f 14 @ 1/20 sec, ISO 200, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ed, indeed totally different. But it proves that what is good in photography is for everyone different. Even between brothers.And that is the beauty of making images.

Hi @Ed_Lowe, i like this oneā€¦ Very nice composition, the subject stands from the background and at the same time there is not too much contrast. Really nice image, i love also the tones. Thanks for sharing.

This image for me is all about texture and colour.

I would consider clinging out or burning down some of the bight background trunks on the left side in the middle of frame.

Well seen.

Ah, I didnā€™t realize you and Michael were brothers and made these photos in the same place - scrolling through, I though to myself, wow! those look like the same tree - lol.

Your version is lovely, also, in a different way. It has a more hopeful feel because of the warmer tones. Beautiful.

Great minds, eh? I think I like your comp and color better than mine. I didnā€™t really process mine for color. Just left it on auto white balance because it seemed to make the mist more noticeable.

I like it. Feels very ā€œspring-yā€, and despite there being so much going on, it still feels calming and peaceful. I like the feeling of depth in there.
Nicely done.
Now I gotta go look at Michaelā€™sā€¦

The battle of the Lowes. The only thing that bothers me about this subject, as compared to the very first post, is the somewhat sinister feel that the dead branches invoke. The angular twist of dead branches seem opposed to the budding trees in back and their colors. If I create a comp of just the top 40% I get a more consistent message. Thatā€™s just my opinion.

It is amazing to me how you and your brother can be standing only 6 feet apart (hopefully), and yet come away with completely different looking images of the same tree. And I donā€™t mean composition, the difference in color and WB makes them feel so different. Yours is more warm and inviting, and Mikes fells more spooky or foreboding.

As I said in my comments on Mikes post, itā€™s not really fair to compare your shots, but what the heck. I prefer the lighter luminosity you used here Ed, I think it does a nice job of communicating the feeling of freshness and rebirth that we associate with spring. My own personal preference leans towards cooler images, so in that regard I prefer Mikes WB. But your personal style generally leans towards warmer WB in your images, and I think that works here too.

My only suggestion for a tweak would be to clone away the white branch about halfway up the left side along the edge.

Ed,

What a difference a sibling can makeā€¦ :grin: And proving the point that we all know to be true - on how each individual sees and interprets a scene. Which just proves to me that just because someone else is standing there photographing the same scene - doesnā€™t mean you should forego it just because someone else is shooting it.

Having said that, this rendition is almost completely opposite in terms of impressions. This one, not really about mood, but about the emergence of spring, about color and making order from chaos. to that end, I think you might be able to work the greens and colors to increase the color contrast to enhance that sense of an emerging spring.

I like the comp as presented. The tree has sufficient structure to give this a bit of order and I happen to like the added dimension the bare branches are providing.

Well seen and presented.

Lon

My preference is actually a combination of ā€œbrothers.ā€ I like his cool fog, but your warm vegetation. Something along the lines of this: