Leaping Merlin

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I shot this merlin out the window of my car while out driving around looking. At first I thought it to be a kestrel, then when it took off I saw that it was a merlin! Only the second one I’ve ever seen. It had been perched on an old, CA gold rush era pole which I think has a look too.

Specific Feedback

I wonder if I got the cropping about right? The sky was not a crystal clear blue. It was somewhat diffused.

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1260mm, ISO 640, f 9.0, cropped to 3144 x 2649

1 Like

Wonderful capture! The soft light and somewhat cloudy sky works well. It looks very sharp with great tonalities and the perch fits so well! I would be inclined to clone out the halo above the right wing. The NR looks uneven, with more remaining in what were probably areas where shadows were pulled up. (They look very natural other than the residual noise.) NR is so good these days, I think you could probably fix that.

Hi Dave, nice take off pose even though the bird is angled away from us. The body and underwing patterns on this species are quite striking. I see Diane’s points about the halo and noise. A few tweaks should fix those I think. A fine capture of a striking subject.

Hi Dave, this is a terrific capture. Well done. The few tweaks that have already been mentioned would certainly elevate this fine image to a stellar one.

Congrats,
David

Great take off pose, Dave. Very dynamic look to it. The sky looks good to me (that’s a normal shade for here). I do see the slight halo on the far wing and the noise, but as Allen noted, those are fairly easily fixed.