Learning By Observing

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

If the image was not titled, would you know what is happening?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Unless you have been to Brooks Falls you might think that all the bears stand on the top of the falls and let the fish jump into their mouths, as seen in Thomas Mangelsen’s famous photo. However, the bears at Brooks Falls have variable fishing strategies. “Snorkel” bears stick their face under the surface to watch the fish, then dive quickly when one comes within striking distance. “Pool” bears, as the gigantic male in this image, sit at the base of the falls waiting for the fish to bump into their legs which they then deftly capture with their paws. This subadult bear watches the mature “pool” bear to learn his fishing tactics. He also picks up scraps as they float down stream.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 200-400mm + 1.4x @ 560mm; f/16 @ 1/250 sec, ISO 400; Gitzo triopd, RRS BH 55; remote trigger; Image captured from the “waiting platform” before being able to move up to the viewing platform, 100 meters away. The falls are six feet tall.

Specific Feedback

Would a square or vertical view feel too cramped?

Bob, I probably would have missed what is probably going on. Mom is teaching her cub? I love the composition and the story, whatever it might be. There is tension in the body of both bears. This is undoubtedly a special moment.

Would a square or vertical view feel too cramped?* Yes, I think so.
I see I missed the story altogether. Thanks for the excellent discussion of fishing tactics.

Thank you @Barbara_Djordjevic for your comments. No, mom is not teaching here. This younger bear is likely three years old and on his own. The sows generally begin pushing the cubs out after two years. She will have taught them as much as necessary to survive as well as how to learn more by using the techniques she used to teach him.

I agree with @Barbara_Djordjevic on the crop Bob. I think the fallls help tell the story here. I love the stance taken by the young bear. It seems both observant and optomistic, and yet cautious of that big bear too.