Watchful Mom

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Don’t mess with mom. How much space do you think it is safe to keep between you and a mother bear and her cubs in the field?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

With her cubs snuggled up to her on on her right the sow takes on a vigilant pose. It is necessary to stay at least 100 feet from any bear. More for a sow with cubs. These are atop an 80 foot river bank and well over 100 yards away horizontally, across a river.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 70-200mm @ 200mm; f/10 @ 1/250 sec ,ISO 400; handheld

Specific Feedback

Whatever you think, positive or otherwise.

Cool behavioural shot and I really like the BG clouds. I may place it bit more on the RHS in the frame.
I’m just wondering why details are not visible in the face?

Thank you @JRajput for your comments. Pushing the position of the bear would introduce distracting hills on the far left horizon. Because the sun is above and to the right of the animals the sow’s face is in deep shadow, yet,I can see highlights on her forehead and muzzle. Her eyes are dark and blend into the concavities surrounding them.