Lichenscape

I enjoy photographing lichens, particularly in the alpine/subalpine areas. There are endless compositions available within the suface of a single rock, but of course this makes the trekking rather slow!
I find the lichens symbiosis of fungus and algae fascinating.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments gratefully recieved.

Technical Details

1/200s, f6.3, ISO 200
Olympus 60mm macro + ext , focus stacked in field

2 Likes

Phil, what a frame filled feast for the eyes. I love all the textures and shapes in this image. I don’t think that I have ever seen lichen that looks like this so that is another treat. Wonderful details throughout the image. I can’t think of anything that could improve the shot. Very nice.

Wonderful capture, with great sharpness and a fascinating subject and composition!

Yay, another lichen addict!! I did a lot with lichens last year and have done some this year, too, but none quite like this. Different species are everywhere and that’s what makes them endlessly fascinating. As does the multiple life forms that make up lichens. I recently went to Fungi Fest here in Wisconsin at Kemp Station and there was a lichen expert who gave a talk. Fascinating stuff.

Anyway…I’ll shut up about that. That 60mm sure is a beaut. Everything is sharp and crisp and the colors look natural. I’d be tempted to take down some of the lightest beige colors just a bit, but that could make things muddy so it would be an experiment. Really super.

Thanks for your kind remarks Shirley, Diane, and Kris

Yes Kristen, a true lichen addict here. I thought there might be only one of us. Some would grimace and comment along the lines of Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. They just don’t know what they are missing.
I see that you also use a G9, and you have a lovely collection of images, so now I know there are at least two of us that values M4/3. The G9 and 60macro are are match made in heaven (or wherever your mind takes you) for macro work. Cheers.

Lichen addicts unite!

And yes, when you get right into these little worlds, beauty abounds.

I didn’t realize you had the OM on a Lumix G9. Oh how I love that camera. I use the Panny/Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro - got it as a perfect used copy for 1/2 the price of a new one. Couldn’t pass it up. I shot Olympus film cameras for over 20 years and really tried to go mirrorless with them about 10 years ago, but they were in there extreme retro phase and the ergonomics were just terrible, so I bought a GH3 and only replaced it with the G9 in 2018. There are a few M3/4 shooters here, mostly Olympus, but a few Lumix, too.