Lifes a Beech

One of the good things about Covid related travel restrictions is that it has forced me to explore some previously overlooked photography locations close to home. Back in October 2020 I found this beech tree in a local cemetery, and made some nice fall foliage images with it, several of which I posted at NPN. Beech trees retain their dead leaves for most of winter, providing a much needed splash of color among all the whites and greys of the season. So after a recent snowfall, I went back to revisit this new found friend.

I have also included a few previously posted images of this same tree from autumn, for comparison purposes. If nothing else, Covid has taught me how to find images in unexpected places.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DMK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 86 mm, ISO 400, 1/6 sec at f13

Rework cropped to 5x7

Autumn leaf closeups from the same tree back in October

I am not asking for comparison of these images, I am seeking critique on the winter image, but providing the fall images for some context about working a subject repeatedly.

It’s ironic, there was actually more snow on this tree back in our surprise October snowstorm than there was during my winter visit.

1 Like

Ed, I like the featured picture very much. The colours - the bronze leaves against white snow is compelling. That being said, I’d consider a crop from the left and a bit from the right, either 4:5 or possibly even square, to put the two trunks as the central focus of the frame. The horizontality of the aspect ratio seems at odds with the two vertical elements that, to my eye anyway, define the frame.

The original is stunningly beautiful, especially at the base of the tree. A composition of snow, a few leaves, and bare branches does the trick. I think that would make a great composition.

@Kerry_Gordon @Igor_Doncov
thank you for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts. I agree a crop to tighten this up would emphasize the elements that Igor discussed. Here is a rework cropped to 5x7 (see above). Hopefully this tightens things up a bit

The tighter crop works quite well. The slight blue wash in the shadows is nice with the leaves. I miss beeches. They don’t seem to do well this far north. Instead we have ironwood & hornbeam; ironwood drops its leaves, but hornbeam hangs onto them, but not as much as beeches do.

You have worked this beech tree for some beautiful images during the Covid lockdown, Ed. I am thoroughly enjoying the quiet understated beauty you found with this tree. All are quite beautiful, but I especially love the last one with the dusting of snow on the orange/brown hued autumn leaves. As for the original post I prefer the wider version over the 5x7 as I like the spacing of the two tree trunks in relation to the frame. Either way beautifully done!