Weathered Deciduous beech and roots + Rework

Original:

Rework:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken on the banks of an alpine lake in Tasmania a couple of months ago, when the deciduous beech surrounding the lake were starting to change color during Autumn. The day I took this photo I had intended to set out and photograph the deciduous beech, or Nothofagus Gunnii, Australia’s only native winter deciduous tree. While not tall, the tree photographed in this image was quite expansive, with a complex root network that extended far beyond the frame. I tried to include as much of the roots as I could, including the weathered texture of the bark and the bright yellows and greens of the changing leaves, in order to create an intricate perspective of the tree and its unique character.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I would also value feedback on the composition and the aesthetic qualities of the image. Is the subject interesting and have I succeeded at displaying an interesting perspective of the tree?
This is an image that I keep coming back to, as I seem to be perpetually unsure if I am happy with the image or if I should edit it further or if I should have altered my composition. As such, I would greatly value second opinions on it!

Technical Details

Taken at 24mm, ISO 100, f/16 with minor exposure adjustments in lightroom and cropping the image somewhat.

1 Like

Hi Keenan, I think you did a great job portraying this remarkable tree. To my eye, you framed the subject carefully and made good use of the opposed diagonals. The inclusion of some brighter spots of the sky works very well in this case in my opinion. Regarding the composition I would not change anything.

Handling hues and tonality, there might be some more options. The shadows show rather cool shades, which make for an interesting color contrast to the backlit foliage. Yet maybe applying a slightly warmer color temperature to the wood could allow these parts to stand out even more, giving them more presence. Also the fallen foliage on the ground in the lower right quarter could make use of a bit more brightness and saturation to my mind.

Just some thoughts and my personal opinion of course. I appreciate your image a lot as presented. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Peter, thank you very much for the feedback! I am glad to hear that the composition works, and regarding your suggested edits I definitely agree that warming the wood helps create a more defined presence:

Thanks once again :slight_smile:

Keenan,

I wanted to comment that the few tweaks that you made really make a difference and in my opinion you have improved this with those changes. The warmer tones in the weathered wood are just right and I think the crop did well to remove some minor edge distractions - like the bright patches showing through up top, as well as tightening up the bottom. I think further, maybe coming in a little from the right would work too - I say that because for me, the main interest besides the complex root/tree structure… I really like the somewhat radiating effect of the foliage and all that interest pulls towards the left - hence cropping on the right I think helps in the overall balance.

Great job isolating this piece of nature and making a little order out of chaos!

Oh, and a best practices tip. It’s recommended to edit your original entry if you want to post an edited/reworked version. This way members can go back and forth between the versions.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Hi Lon, thank you for the feedback! I am glad to hear that the changes made helped improve the image. I followed your suggestion and cropped in from the right some more, which definitely helps to balance the image some more. I am considering cropping in some more with a 4x5 crop. Thanks once again, ill make sure to post the rework :slight_smile:

Excellent! Great job on the crop and repost. thank you for taking the time and consideration. this is what the feedback and interaction is all about!

Lon

1 Like