Deciduous Beech palette (+ Rework)

Original:

Rework:
Increased the saturation and luminance of the yellows, raised the exposure and cropped the image so that it is more focused on the colors of the leaves and the texture of the branch.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The image shows a deciduous beech branch and the autumnal leaves of the tree resting upon the branch. Through this image, I mainly wanted to showcase the color palette and textures of this small part of the tree through a candid composition.

Specific Feedback

I am open to all feedback. I would especially appreciate feedback on the aesthetic, emotional (if any) and compositional elements of the image, including how best to crop the image. I feel like a 4:5 portrait crop could work better for the image but I would appreciate any other opinions.

Technical Details

ISO: 640
Shutter Speed: 1/60
Aperture: f/16

50mm Full frame

Only minor edits have been made to the image in lightroom, which include decreasing the highlights and lifting the shadows, lowering the clarity slightly and slightly raising the brightness of the half of the branch in the top part of the image.

1 Like

Hi, Keenan. I like your image and, especially, the pleasing color palette. Upon looking at the photo, I sense some coolness that is accentuated by the fall leaves and trunk colors. I am not sure whether a little more saturation is needed, but it would be something I would personally try to add if I were editing the photo. Perhaps this location was in the shade. Somehow, the leaf colors look a bit underwhelmed when I think of fall colors.

As for the crop, my preference would be to eliminate the leafless portion of the trunk. Besides the two smaller side branches not adding to the color contrast, I feel that maybe a square crop might enhance the impact of the fall foliage against the tree.

Overall, the image offers a pleasing glimpse of fall foliage. The textures and details on the trunk are nicely showcased, too.

1 Like

Hi EgĂ­dio, thank you for the detailed feedback. I agree with you about the colors and upon adding some saturation and luminance to the yellows, the leaves look a lot better. I cropped down the image a lot to focus more on the leaves, but I am still unsure about a square crop.
Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

You are very welcome, Keenan. This tighter crop looks more pleasing to my eye.

If you’d like to place both photos side by side, you can do that. That way, other viewers can go from the original to the re-edit very easily. A lot of users do that and also edit the title to include “+ repost.” Here are the steps I’m referring to.

(1) Adding +rework to the very first line of your post. Just click the pencil icon to modify that title. In your case, it would be ‘Title’ (+Rework).

(2) To add the reworked image next to the original one, you’ll click on the pencil icon at the bottom of the original post. You are then taken to the edit mode of your entry. You can place the cursor after the original entry and upload the reworked image (without removing the original entry, of course). If you want, add text after the original image and after the reworked image.

Again, these are only suggestions. If you want further assistance, please do not hesitate to write back or send me a DM.

1 Like

Thank you for letting me know about reworking the post, ill make sure to do so!

1 Like