Brilliant Beech

I couldn’t resist this scene with the Beech glowing in front of the larger Oak.

What technical feedback would you like if an orangey?

I am looking for editing comments. I found the highlights and contrast challenging and would appreciate any comments.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any is appreciated.

Any pertinent technical details:

16mm, F11, 100 ISO, 1/3sec, single exposure, 5 PM

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Nice canopy of color and good strong trunk lines. I might clone the leaves LLC and I might kick up the vibrance a little bit. Minor stuff though, a nice view.

Thanks for the comments Harley. I actually toned the vibrance down a bit. In reality it was very vibrant and glowing. Good catch on the LLC, I agree and should have caught that.

This is a difficult image for me. The large diagonal limb is a little distracting, of course nothing to be done about it. The color treatment looks fine in the canopy, I would increase the shadows in the leaf fall and see if you get a little more pop. The lanky trunks framing the color are interesting and add to the image.

Stephen, Thanks for the comments, I will try darkening the shadows. That was an area I wanted to see if I would receive feedback and did try a few versions before posting.

I will have to echo Harley’s thoughts on this lovely woodland scene, Alan. Putting back a little vibrance back in the beech would make it the star; which it deserves. I can see why you could not resist the glowing beech.

I really like this image. The leaves give the appearance of a veil around the tree. It’s kind of like Dan’s japanese maples without the wildness. It’s the backlighting that gives it that see-through appearance. It really does glow, like the Biblical burning bush. The lines weaving through are great. I wouldn’t change a thing. Maybe a bit of dodging in the llc but that’s really inconsequential. I wouldn’t saturate the colors. Great eye to see this and bring it to life!

Thanks to @Igor_Doncov and @Ed_Lowe for your comments. This scene lasted about 3 minutes and disappeared, good fortune on my part. I went back two days later and the Beech had dropped it’s leaves.

Alan, the backlighting here is wonderful, and I like how you have framed the center beech with the other trees. I also like how the foreground path leads your eye into the scene. You have already received comments about both increasing the vibrance / saturation, and leaving it unchanged. Saturation is very much to one’s personal taste, my opinion is that backlit leaves are usually saturated in real life, and that your image could use a boost in vibrance. I know you have started to to dabble with the TK Masks. One way to do this is to use a TK Vibrance lights 3 or 4 mask to apply a Hue Saturation adjustment layer. This protects the already saturated colors from getting any increase in saturation, while increasing the saturation of less saturated colors. Lightroom’s vibrance slider does something similar, but th e Tk approach offers more control, especially if increasing vibrance in warm colors.

Ed, as always thanks for your thoughtful comments. Those TK suggestions will be on my list of things to try.

Alan,

I really like this. I think you did a great job on the processing, handling the highlights, etc. Compositionally, I like how you gave the main tree plenty of breathing space and I like how it’s framed by the other trees; even the bowed one on the left.

Other than the small cloning in LLC that Harley suggested, I have no other nits or suggestions.

Lon

Lon, thanks for your kind words and comments.